XKE S2 Brake Fluid Res Feed Pipes?

Hi All, and Happy Thanks Giving!

Question, please see attached diagram. Is the diagram correct or are the “pened in” markings correct? Seems that there is/was a question as to how to connect the fluid res on the front and rear brakes. Thanks! Bob

I believe the diagram is correct for early 4.2s but the written notations are correct for later cars including the Series 2.

IOW - someone was using an early schematic whilst working on a later car.

Note: Pages L.X.s.2 and L.X.s.3 of the Service Manual show a schematic for each version.

They changed it early on with the S1 cars.

Geo, abowie,

Thanks, so since this XKE is a later model, I will follow the notations on the diagram.
Thanks, Bob

It’s all hard line, and really only goes together one way, so just don’t force fit anything.

And that raises a question that always made me wonder - what’s the difference. I have an early 4.2 (#10275) and both the Haynes and Bentley show the brake lines as per the penned in routing notations. And yet the part number for the brake slave appears to be the same. I have never found an answer as to any benefit with the later routing but there must be a reason Jaguar made the change. Does any member have any information on this.

I don’t know, but I wonder if it is not a balancing issue. Most of the braking force is applied by the front brakes, and with the change your foot is now directly controlling them. I would think that if that is the case it is a secondary issue, as the two circuits are in series in the slave, but I could see some very small loss with the extra fluid coupling and seal set to the fronts. Just my thinking, perhaps someone has a better idea.

It’s a braking-of-last-resort thing IIRC. When something(s) goes wrong with fluid or vac system(s), the last level of emergency assistance goes to the fronts. It’s too early to figure out but it’s somewhere in the archives.