XKE S2 Dash Gauge Grounding

Hi All,

In my quest to figure out and complete the wiring installation, can someone please help me to understand which dash gauges are grounded via cable/wire vs the base of the dash itself. This is not clear on the wiring diagram.

Thanks,
Bob

Looking at the backside of the instruments I do not see ground wires:

The black wire to the oil pressure gauge should be disregarded as that was an aftermarket gauge (since replaced).

Certainly on my TRs there is a daisy chain of ground wires connecting all gauge but apparently Jaguar did not feel the need.

All of the gauges in the diagram are shown to be grounded with a black wire. This wire is denoted by a short line to the ground symbol with a ‘B’ next to it (indicating back).

Looking at my photos, I see all gauges to have a black wire going to a terminal.

I think just the battery gauge. they all only have two wires that I can think of, and most are connected to power on one and the sender on the other, pretty sure the only reason to ground all but the battery gauge is to power the light bulbs as the internals are not grounded on any of the ones I have rebuilt.

but the battery gauge on a series 2 is just a simple volt meter, it gets battery voltage of the B side of that regulator and the other terminal connects to a post in the center of the panel for ground.

NOTE: I stand corrected! The gauges are grounded through their sensors. Power goes to one side of the gauge and the other side goes through the sensor to ground. I also noticed that the drawing shows ground wires to the temperature sender and the oil pressure sender but these two sensors are inherently grounded. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Thanks All,

I have “extra” female spade (black) wire connectors coming off of the new harness. Just trying to figure out where they need to connect? Sorry, just is not clear on the diagram…

Thanks,
Bob

The copper-sheathed panel itself is grounded, and the instrument cases grounded to it by the clips. The sensor grounds won’t do the job for the instrument lights, for example. The ground wire fastens behind the fuses logo plate. [edit] on the 3.8.

Thanks Jerry, how do the grounds connect to the panel? I have several…
Thanks, Bob

I was thinking the same thing as Jerry. There has to be a black wire grounding the copper backer. I can’t recall exactly and I can’t see it in any of my pictures, but there may be a spade connector on one of the posts on the backer to which a back wire connects.

In one of my photos it looks like the lug is on the stud between the clock and oil gauge – the same stud as the harness clip. But it is not clear.

Bob,

The ones with ring ends are fastened under the round knurled nuts on the instrument clips. Ones with Lucar connectors, well you have to find where they go, but one goes to the ground screw under the fuse label panel (on the 3.8 anyhow)

Jerry

Here is my map of the connections in my S2 dash

Hope it helps

John North
S2 Coupe

The wire to ground the copper panel is the red arrow. There should be a spade under the lug that it plugs onto.

The 3.8 is quite different with lever switches and no clock and a different headlight switch, but there is a black wire out of a harness that plugs into a blade attached to one of the grounded mounts for the headlight switch. I believe this is the main ground of the panel itself to the chassis. There has to be something like that on the S2 as well, no?

Jerry

John,

What a great diagram!!! This should help a lot!
Thank you!
Bob

the ground stud ( with nut showing ) is just to the right of the lightbulb wire in the clock for a 69 Series 2 dash

Hi John,

Are you familiar with the Richard Liggitt wiring diagram? By chance, if so, does your wire map match Richard’s diagram?

Thanks,
Bob

I am familiar with the Liggitt diagram and use it. It’s been a while since I crreated the diagram but I seem to recall there was a problem with the gauges that use the regulator the diagram is as I removed the wiring. I think the Oil Pressure gauge green wire was hooked to the 10 volts end of the voltage regulator (should be to the 12 volts terminal), and the Coolant Temp and Fuel gauge wires were hooked to the Oil Pressure Gauge green wire (should be to the 10 vols terminal on the regulator). The result is that the oil pressure gauge was getting 10 volts instead of 12, but the other gauges were receiving the correct voltage.

Here is another dash wiring diagram for the S2, this one from John Carey, I believe

1 Like

Thanks John! I will look at this tomorrow.
Thanks for your help!!!
Bob

At a quick glance… this diagram seems to match the misc notes, pics that I have collected. Seems to be correct for the later version of the S2 …

Anyone else have any comments on this diagram?

Thanks,
Bob