XKE S2 Gas Tank Sock FIlter

Hi All,

As I continue to struggle through the reassembly of my friends '71 S2, this evening what I thought would be a simple mini project turns out not to be simple…

I have the OE fuel pickup plate, pickup tube and sump casing. New parts are the brass pickup sock and the brass o-ring fitting.

First issue was that the sock didnt fit through the hole in the tank. It was oo wide. So I used my bench press and gently squeezed the sides together, trial fit, retry, didnt fit, resqueeze, trial fit, etc until it fit…

Then as I go to screw in the sump casing, turns out that the sock is bottoming out. Its too long. So removed pick tube and screwed the sock in tighter, as tight as it would go. If I go any further I am afraid it will strip the brass threads.

I am still ~1/4" hang too low.

Anyone else ever run into this issue? I hate to cut the pickup tube shorter…

Is the pick sock from SNG not a correct fit part?

How far down does the tube go into the sock? Maybe I need to move the brass o-ring higher up on the tube and have the pickup tube sit well into the sock?

Help!

Thanks,
Bo

I did exactly that on the advice of a friend. He suggested I trim about a ¼-½" off so it did not pick up from the very bottom of the sump. As I recall, I cut it at a slant (maybe the original was that way too).

Anyway, I see no harm and possible benefit in a pick-up tube ‘bris’.

I had some fit issues with the new version as well, but I just bent the sides of the metal sock to clear.
as for length, here is how mine looked after fitting it.

I wouldnt over tighten the fitting, its not under pressure, and frankly if its loose the filter will just slip down until it bottoms out in the sump.

Thanks Geo and Bob.

I am going to go to the hardware store and buy a new brass o-ring. I bet the new ring will slide up the tub enough for me have the sock on and all fit.

Regards, Bob

I replaced the sock and gasket this summer on my Series 1. I purchased it from XKs Unlimited Stainless - CO-21900 for $28.95 USD. I have always had luck with parts manufactured by XKs. The part fit with no adjustments required.

When I opened it up I discovered that the mesh had disappeared - probably explains why I had little black particles in the glass fuel filter!

Tip: Check the sump canister. Although the top and bottom are brass, the body is steel. If water has collected in there you may have a rust issue. Check it thoroughly before re-assembling.

Bob

So now, yer a fuel moyl?

Oy.

:joy::joy::joy: