XKE S2 Heater Box

Hi All,

I am in the process of final assembly of a friends XKE S2 heater box. I installed a new spring from one of the usuals (PN 4000542). As I manually move the heater flap lever on the right side of the box forward and backwards, it does open and close the flap… The problem is that I really have to put pressure on the lever to accomplish this.

When it gets installed into the car, I cant imagine that the heater cable will be able to move this forward and back (open, closed).

Anyone that has rebuilt their box, please let me know the secret. Also, if anyone has a website, pictures, etc of a box rebuild, I would be greatly appreciative.

I also have a larger spring with much less resistance. I guess this goes on the left side of the box? How does this attach?

Please note that I did not take this car apart, box apart. I am putting car back together without any info, notes, pics, etc…

Thanks!
Bob

69’ coupe - restoration in progress.

I have mine sitting on my table, ready to re-assemble after powdercoating. You didn’t say whether or not the flap moves freely without the spring attached. If it does, then clearly the spring is the issue. My 69’ coupe hasn’t been on the road for 35 years, so I can’t remember how it was, when operational, but I think the ability of the cable to activate the the rod with a strong spring is substantial. I would also check all connections/pivots for freedom of movement.

Mark Milburn

Bob;
Thanks for helping your friend and I took my car apart and there were still some things I did not remember on reassembly, no worry.
Here is a link to some photos of mine I posted a few years ago, hope they help and if I might be able to answer other questions let me know.
jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1292990849

As Mark said the spring might be the problem. As I remember the movement of the arm took some effort but once the arm was over center (so to speak) it moved easily.

Regards, Joel.j

Bob;
I found some pictures of the heater as I removed it from the car in 09. I will add that I had worked on it before so what you see is not ‘Jag original’ but is the original heater case but a new heater core.

As removed from my car right side.

Left side.

The flap is now ‘ON’ , the dash handle pulled out and the flap is against the heater core and the air bypasses the heater core.

The flap is now ‘OFF’, the dash handle pushed in, air passes through the heater core and into the car.

Left side of heater box with cover removed, the heater door is in the ‘OFF’ position and air passes over the heater core.
Hope this helps, I think the pictures are somewhat better.

Regards, Joel.

Hi Guys, and thank you for your posts and pictures! It helps!
Yes, my heater flap moves freely without the spring in place. Maybe just need to look for a different spring?
Thanks again, Bob

Bob;
As I have looked at my heater and lever assembly so I could correctly post pictures etc. the lever assembly works on a ‘throw over’ principal and not just a smooth pull. By that I mean it takes some effort to get the lever to move and once it starts to move some it ‘throws over’ the spring and the door moves with some ‘authority’ and snaps open or closed.
It is not a ‘smooth’ pull like the heater valve is, at least on mine.

Regards, Joel.

Yeah - that’s exactly how my S2 works. I wondered how I would describe it, your explanation got it done.

Thanks Joel, George,

I guess with that said, mine is working as designed…
Once it hits mid point it flys forward or back and slams into position.
Bob