XKE S2 Map Light

As I continue to assemble my 1970 S2 OTS car kit from my PO , I find i have the P wire for the map light , but I do not have the light, nor do i know where its located!!! I do have to internal light behind the seats . Any help would be much appreciated!!

John;
The map light should be riveted to the under side of the dash overlay. It is located in the center of the dash and near the front of the dash overlay.
Regards, Joel.

IMG_4083

That’s a great location for an LED bulb. It makes the light actually useful for lighting up the interior.

2 Likes

As I recall, one of those wires is always hot and the light illuminates when the door switch provides a ground.

Something to keep in mind when futzing in that area - best to have the battery disconnected.

X2 on being a good place for an LED.

1 Like

It also helps to put some shiny aluminum foil tape on the underside of the dash around where the bulb is.

I put an adhesive-backed LED light strip there, lights up the whole interior.
Glenn

2 Likes

If you’re missing that light assembly, I know xks had them because I got one there. Mine had corroded apart. Be careful drilling it out that you don’t bore through the cap.

I thank everyone for their inputs Clearly mine is long gone.I like the idea of the LED strip, so will so will try to source one !!Thanks to all the listers that commented!!

John
If you go to the “bling” section of the auto parts store you will find many strips to choose from.
Glenn

Look at my 67 rebuild the smallest led the size of a thumb nail will blind you, not get hot and draws almost zero in battery power
gtjoey1314

My map light fixture is present but it has no wires hooked up to it. Behind the instrument panel I found two wires that were wrapped with old black tape. I unwrapped them and hoping that one of them was for the map light, I used my multi-meter to see which one, if either, was connected to the Map Light switch.

After testing, I discovered that the purple wire was hot all the time even without the key in the ignition and didn’t respond to the Map Light switch. The purple/white wire didn’t have power even with the key in the accessory position and also didn’t respond to the Map Light.

Any thoughts on these two wires and where the map light wiring might be hiding?

My wiring diagram shows a purple wire running from fuse #8 (hot all the time) to the map light. The purple-white wire connects to the other side of the map light and then goes to the two door switches and the map light switch. All three of those switches complete the circuit and cause the map light to illuminate by going to ground when the switch is closed (open a door or turn the map light switch on).

1 Like

My driver’s door push button switch is missing (I believe it malfunctioned years ago and I removed it).
I seem to recall that there were 2 (male) connections on the switch, whereas the passenger door switch had just one. Did the second connection go to the rear interior light? If the driver’s door is opened, should both map and interior light come on?

Late 1970 series II, 2+2

Could be that if there were two P-W wires on the driver’s (left) door switch the second wire went to the passenger door switch. The interior light on the roof, just forward of the hatch is only activated by switch on the center dash panel.

Thank you, that helps. Given that this car is 51 years old and I’ve only had it a month, I am discovering things all the time from its prior owners. I can tell you that there are no door switches on this car. The Map light has a fixture, no bulb, and no wiring connected to it. There is a Map Light switch on the panel that does nothing and an Interior light switch that turns on the light above the cargo area.

I’ve been trying to undo much of what was eliminated in its past, so I may have to look into door switches, although it does seem non-obvious as to where they go. This task is low on my to do list given all the other items that have been added that have a higher priority…at least I’ll be busy.

No. Some late Series 2 cars had a Key Alarm Buzzer. If you open the driver door with the key in the ignition, a buzzer sounds. I believe I’ve read that the 2-pole door switch for the driver side is not available any more.

Here’s a photo of the map light door switch on the drivers side. Passenger is the same. Note the spring loaded rod makes contact with a small chrome plate screwed onto the door.

1 Like

I think this might be it from looking at my old paper catalog from XK’s.

David
68 E-type FHC