XKE S2 OTS Sill End Closing Panel

Hi All,

Does the “sill end closing panel” (left side) line up even with the top end of the rocker (flush with rocker)? Or is the end, at the rocker, higher than the top of the rocker?

As seen in the picture, mine is even at that end. The issue is that the left end mud shield panel doesnt fit. The shield has 3 holes. If I line up the top 2 holes, the bottom hole sits below the bottom of the rocker and the bottom of the rocker does not allow the mud shield to be flush against the sill end panel.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob- yours doesn’t look right to me. Here is what mine looks like and this was done by someone with massive knowledge of these body shells.

Here is my end panel:

And the full assembly:

It appears that the end panel needs to sit higher.

Thank Doug and Geo.

I agree, the end panel needs to sit higher. The issue is if it sits higher, then the end that meets at the rocker will be approx 1/4" higher, vs being at the same level as the top of the rocker, as it appears that both of yours sit. Correct?

What do you think is the solution? I can get the body person to install a new end cap, no issue. Just totally puzzled as to how to solve?

Thanks,
Bob

Was that panel replaced during the restoration? Might the curved edge been ‘trimmed to fit’ - thinking the resulting height was what was needed?

Geo,

Yes, he told me that he trimmed some off at the bottom in order for the top of the cap to be flush with the top of the rocker.

So, if he replaces with another cap, w/o trimming, the top of the cap would be 1/4" higher than the top of the rocker.

This is very puzzling!
Thanks,
Bob

Mine the same. Abt 1".

Hi Nick!

Ok, so mine would be ~1/4"… So I guess I need the body guy to redo…

Thanks!
Bob

Give Chuck at Monocoque Metalworks a call, he is an expert on fitting the panels. He also reminded me that the sill end closing panel sits about 1/4-1/2 inch back at the top. This allows the bonnet to avoid hitting the top of the closing panel when shut and allows the rubber to make a good seal.

Chuck is the person I referenced with a “massive amount of knowledge” of these cars. He did the work on the closing panel I’ve been showing. Very knowledgeable guy and very nice.

I [quote=“bobsxk120, post:9, topic:353782”]
OK, so mine would be ~1/4"… So I guess I need the body guy to redo…
[/quote]

I’d say so, Bob. And it shouldn’t be a big deal. If he has a good feel for blending he’ll remove the finish on the sill end flange to the edge of the 90 degree bend, replace the end panel and finish it invisibly.

Looks like an otherwise fine job.

Edit. Notice the upright flange along the top of the outer sill in Doug’s pic. It should be close to an inch in height - abt 7/8" on my car - and the closing panel is positioned just above it. I can’t make out in your pics if your upright flange is the right height. Maybe another pic taken from the side?

All,

Thanks so much for the replies and the info. All makes sense!

Question, is there a “gutter” between the sill end cap and the end of the rocker? Or is the sill end cap welded on flush with the end of the rocker like mine currently is?

Want to do right 2nd time around…

Thanks,
Bob

That cavity was originally filled with body solder.

Nick, Doug,

Thanks!
Bob

Ahhh - I looked at mine (hard to see under the rubber shield) and could see the cavity was there and was filled. Was thinking it might be a glob of dum dum but body solder makes much more sense.