XKE S2 Tie Rods

Hi All,

What is the trick to tighten the front XKE S2 tie rods? As I turn the nut, the bolt turns in the joint…Thanks, Bob

Begin with a plain nut (not NyLoc) and you can tighten until the taper takes hold. Then undo the plain nut and go with the NyLoc.

Always worked for me.

Hey Bob, the taper shaft and the tie rod have to be very clean before the taper fit will make the bolt fit tight, hold the shaft in tight and do up the nut and put in the cotter key.

Bob, I assume you are using a nyloc nut on the tie rod. As soon as the nyloc starts to bind it can turn the thread in the joint. First of all hit the top of the tie rod to try and wedge the tapered thread into the steering arm. If that doesn’t work use a standard nut to pull the taper down and then the nyloc.

Andy
1969 FHC

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the great suggestion… I will use a std nut to lock it in, then undo and install the nyloc.
Thanks,
Bob

Tapered cylindrical setups are super efficient at “grabbing” and then staying in place without a lot of pressure. Almost too good at what they do. When I was a machinist I was always amazed at how well split/tapered collets worked. The rub is that they work so well that I have found that a very light smear of some rust inhibitor is warranted for future release which makes it difficult to get the setup to initially seat enough to turn down the fastener. There has been many a time when I became religious, inquiring of the nearest god or spirit looking for some luck to get to the point of the assembly not spinning before the nut was home. The non-Nylock nut is a great idea, but I would complement that with either some mild tapping on the male piece from above while bucking the female until it is seated just enough to then slowly spin on a non-locking regular (lubed threads might help, here) nut until a enough purchase is acquired. Then back it off and spin on the final fastener(s). I also have employed some sort of clamp (a “C” clamp or even some wire trussing of the two pieces) to hold the assembly in a mildly seated position until I can get just a bit more grab as the nut on the male meets the female then the job is all but done.

Good luck with your projects.

Huff 69 2+2