XKE Steering rack mounts and mounting correctly

I am about to install new steering rackmounts on my E-Type 67 OTS

PO had put incorrect mounting hardware (Probably from Ace) I brought new mounts and
a mounting kit from XKS Unlimited can anyone show me clear pics of exactly how the mounts shound be installed with the correct spacers and hardware on my Left hand drive car

Many thanks for any pics and diagrams

Alan

Do you have a workshop manual? It contains all the diagrams you need.

I would like to see some too… I have every manual there is, two of some, and I cant find a clear description either.
My rack was rebuilt in the 80’s and to this day I wonder if they put it back the right way.

that’s what I had, no idea if its correct. I have all the manuals too.

If your refering to the way the rubber metalistic
Mounts from the picture they look correct. Here is a shot of the mount with out the rack on a S3 the bolts w the spacers are a sort of safety/ deflection limit for the metal bracket hard mounted to the rack

There is a 3rd bolt that runs thru the frame inboard you cant see in this pic

@BillJag Looks like some one put nuts in place of the spacers on that first pic.

Eric,

On the S1s and 2s (don’t know about the 3s), the spacers were only fitted on the driver’s side, and a different arrangement using nuts was used on the passenger side. Why? It’s been debated here before, but I can’t recall whether it was resolved. A review of the Jaguar Parts Lists confirms this.

-David

here is my passenger side , same nuts it seems.

Something not mentioned is that the bolts with washers are not to be tightened down. You should be able to move washers with your fingers.
Glenn

Definitely true on the pass side and this is why the bolt is held by nuts on either side of the picture frame rather than by tension under the bolt heads. I’m not sure how it could be true on the driver side though or the bolts would have to be loose.

Correct. The driver side washers are tight against the spacers, though still clear of the rack mount plate…(spacers painted black in my photo)

The passenger side washers are loose between the bolt head and the rack mount plate. The additional nut in the photo secures the rack mount to the picture frame…

-David

Thanks for the pictures David.
I could only wish mine were as clean and perfect as yours, but it appears mine were done correctly years ago which relieves me.
Bob

Ahhh, right, I forgot the spacers actually poke through the large holes in the rack. I haven’t visited that area in some years.

Oh…Oh…yeah? well, I don’t see cotter pins in those pristine castellated nuts…(sniff)

Sharp eyes Bill! Those photos were taken during the front end rebuild before the car was lowered onto the suspension, so all the bushings were loose until the suspension was settled. The split pins are there now, but the 30,000 miles of road trips have taken their toll on the pristine appearance…:grinning:

Hi Bob,

I recently re-installed my rack correctly during firewall forward resto. PO had defeated the floating rack feature. One thing that is obvious from the drivers seat with engine out, when correctly installed you can see slight entire rack shift left and right when you turn the wheel (not rolling of course). With engine etc in place maybe you could ask a helper to check this. The play is much less obvious when rolling.

This thread uses my old coupe as the example on building out the front subframes. Lots of pics and fairly decent explanation of the process. Perhaps it will help you.

http://owenauto.ca/how-to-ressamble-your-e-type/