(Yet Another) Battery Venting Question

Picked up my new battery tonight and will install it tomorrow. This is the proper H-5 type battery with venting. It even comes with the 90-degree connector to the vent hose and a blanking plug which may or may not be used with the other vent hole. That’s where my question arises …

The instructions with the venting connector advise to check with the manuf to determine whether the other venting hole should be left open, or closed off with the provided plug. I have looked through all my Jag literature and it does not advise what to do with the remaining vent hole. My old battery is of no help, as the PO sold Superblack to me with the vent hose disconnected and no plug in the other vent hole of the old battery. :angry: So, which is it?

btw, what a rip-off WM has going . They charged me a $3 “battery disposal fee” for my old battery, although I didn’t bring them the old one (I no longer had it - long story). According to the manger on duty, there is no way for them to manually “override” that fee, so we still have to pay it, no matter what. While I was complaining about this to a greeter/associate, another customer overhead me and chimed in, noting that WM also charges a $9 per tire “tire disposal fee” for your old tires when you have new ones put on there. He said he always likes to keep his old tires, as he goes through them to find good spares for his spare wheels. Despite keeping the old tires, WM still makes him pay the $9 disposal charge per tire. :rage: Somebody needs to get the word out on this gimmick (maybe a YouTube video?), as there’s no telling how much $$ WM is making off of it.

I think they have to. It’s the law. If you could avoid the fee by not having a battery to exchange, nobody would have a battery to exchange, and the woods would be littered with discarded car batteries. Same with tires.

There are a few simple truths here. First off, no battery vent should be left open inside the trunk, period. Your other two choice are A) cap it, or B) vent it overboard, possibly by teeing it together with the line from the other vent. B) is definitely acceptable. A) is only acceptable if those vents are connected internally, so venting from one and capping the other vents the entire battery. I have seen batteries where this is not true; one vent vents half the cells and the other vent vents the other half. Capping either would be unacceptable, because those cells would be unvented.

If your battery came with a cap for one vent, that would seem an indication that it’s acceptable to cap one – meaning the other vent will vent the entire battery.

In CA, we have CRV. Stores collect it and pay it to the state. A development from the days of paying a deposit n beverage containers that would be refunded when returned. In theory recycling centers are located here and there. One takes them in and gets paid, weighed o determine how much. then the state subsidizes the process, supposedly.

When in years past, one such center was located in the parking lot of the market we shopped at it. It was convenient and we did it . Two or three bags in the boot. About ten bucks. Voucher redeemed in the store! Then it closed. No longer convenient to go to a neighboring town to access one. So the local refuse collection company provides a little dumpster. Tehj blue can. it gets the containers along with other reclyclables, paper, etc…

As to batteries, there was a day when one paid a fee if one had no “trade in”.

As a society, we respond to economics in preserving the environment.

Circa 58, the town dump in the small town we lived in was free… That encouraged us to take our junk there.
And “shop” as well. I got a hood for my T speedster project there. And of all things, a pair of headlights. I recognized them as coming off the ice trucks, Studebakers… I got them chromed and they were just right on my T… .

Nowadays the dump is expensive. Folks just midnite dump on city streets…

Carl

IMHO, all refuse disposal and pickup should be “single payer”, paid for through property taxes. Those who own the most property would hence pay the most, which is as it should be since it’s property that gets violated when people toss their garbage out the window.

Yep, WM hit me also for a $12 “core charge”, since I didn’t still have my old battery to trade in. Bottom line is a 5-year battery that was listed at under $120.00 ended up costing me $145.00+ when all was said and done. Oh well … :slightly_frowning_face:

Good thinking, Kirby … and I’ll go with it … thanks :smile:

The fees for tire and battery disposal is not for our old ones.
It is for disposal of the new ones.

You’ve lost me there, Equip. :confused: So you’re saying they are charging us in ADVANCE for when we do have to get rid of them? That seems pretty dicey and presumptuous – how do they know we won’t sell the battery or tires (or the vehicle they’re in) to someone else before the products go belly up? Why should we have to pay for THEIR disposal of the products? :confused:

When the recycling laws were enacted that was the way it was set up.
If they paid for the service they would just increase the price accordingly.
As far as selling old parts go, you can’t legally, as far as I know.
That is the way it is in California at least.
I’m glad they don’t enforce it, otherwise I’d be locked up.
My donor car was shipped to me from Mass. and I dismantled it here.
It wasn’t a salvage title so all the paperwork was clean.