Yet ANOTHER central locking problem on my '89 XJ40

Well with a Jaguar NOTHING is as it first appears !!

As I mentioned in my last post I plugged in the replacement module and everything worked … Yea !

I then bolted it into place and I was back to the same problem … Boo !

Seems it wasn’t the module at all, but a intermittent electrical connector. Repaired the connector and everything is all good again. I even swapped the original module back in and it also worked fine.

So the moral of this story is … Wiggle twice replace once.

Congrats Grooveman for solving that one. Can you elaborate about the diagnosis of the connector and how you made the repair? :eyes

Mike …

Well I THINK I figured out what transpired with my locking system.

The system consists of a module that receives the signal from the battery operated keychain remote. This receiver module is wired to a separate door lock module that processes the signal and operates everything.

The original receiver module in my car was an IR unit (which is limited to line of sight) and this was replaced by the dealer with a newer RF receiver (located under the left side dash) with a small wire antenna.

The pictures shows where the Jag dealer (very unprofessionally in my opinion) spliced in the replacement RF receiver wires going to the door lock module (white arrow). One of those splices failed and was the culprit (of course it did take about 27 years to fail so maybe it wasn’t that bad of a bodge). I removed all the snap-on splices and soldered the connections. Everything back to normal.

1 Like

Grooveman, thanks for elaborating. I have used those snap-on splices before and my experience was if a good connection was made at the outset the connector wasn’t problematic in the long run. Proper stripping and splicing as you did is without a doubt the best way to go though IMHO.

1 Like