YouTube: Upgrading x308/x300 Jaguar XJ8 VDP to LED headlights

Anyone else upgrade their Jaguar x308/x300 to LED headlights?

I know this has been done and discussed before, try searching the Archives or the other Jag forum.

Duct tape fitment? Why bother? are standard bulbs THAT bad?

I agree! The X300 headlights not that good admitedly but the X308 ones are excellent especially when fitted with Night Breaker bulbs.
Now swapping to those upgraded ones is by far the BEST option, I and others have done this on our cars.

This is a good write up on how to do it courtesy of Jim Butterworth:

http://jimbutterworth.co.uk/8headlights.htm

Well, two guys “agreeing” are saying different things. If the standard bulbs are fine, then why are Jim and many other interested in upgrading to the X-308 lamps? That is a $500. plus mod unless you have a spare x-308 donor around, and only gives a minor improvement. The poster admitted the mod was “ghetto style” and it seems pretty serviceable. Not for me, but it looks like it will work fine. Unless you are keeping a X-300 in show quality shape, you gotta remember it is a $1000. or $2000. car and a little duct tape under the hood really is no big deal.
My $.02

1 Like

I drive the X300’s predecessor, the XJ40. Admittedly, my headlights are rectangular Hella’s, not a pair of quads - however, no problem lighting up the road …what is the attraction in using LEDs anyway? Saving a dollar or two on replacing bulbs every couple of years?

Although I doubt that I would ever mod an X-308, I must say that driving with the HID lamps on my MY '12 XFR works a lot better for an old guy who is getting blind. I assume the LEDs are brighter than the incandescents and they draw less current. That would be the only valid reason to change for me.

Fair comment Ross but a set of X308 headlights inc. looms from Ebay ÂŁ80 and a bit of detergent to clean them, Oram bulbs about ÂŁ25 and and a mornings labour IMNVHO it is well worth the effort as the cleaning is probably essential on every X300 still running if not already having been done!

My $.02

LED bulbs are MUCH brighter than halogen and also shine a white light instead of yellow, so it “feels” even yet brighter, fairly similar brightness to Xenon but LEDs put out a less pleasant light (xenon are the best!)

…and lets not forget they are extremely annoying when oncoming. IMHO owners who fit these suckers should be given a good kick up the arse.
If you can’t see where you’re going with normal headlights, get off the damn road!

Properly focused and aimed LED lights are no more annoying than others. And by “normal headlights”, do you mean 1995, X300 lights, 2002 X308 lights, or 2012 XFR lights? I have all driven with all three and they are pretty different from each other.

Actually, anything other than what I consider offensive coming toward me. No need for Xenons or LED’s for general highway use - we used to fit “spots” for the kind of driving where you would need that “extra” illumination - and BTW, the video guy drives in NYC, not down some dark country lane.

Fit regular lamps and clean the bloody windshield now and again and you’ll be fine. Over and out.