Youtuber's new video review of an '88 XJS V12

I follow this Youtuber, watching some of his videos now and again, and saw that he just uploaded a video about an '88 XJS V12 today. Thought you all might find it interesting. I particularly liked learning what features of the car he found most unusual.

Not an endorsement of the Youtuber or his thoughts on the car, just sharing for the sake of common interest!

ha, he kinda hits the nail on the head, regarding lack of performance, but itā€™s sooo smooth and quiet. These cars were race cars that were dumbed down for the luxury Jag market. I canā€™t wait to make mine growl louder and stronger, stiffer shocks, better flowing exhaust, better differential gear ratio, and one day a manual transmission.

1 Like

Pretty spot on, but I rate my ā€˜88 with 10s in fun, coolness and ride; 7s in handling and performance. In the perspective of a 30 year old car it measures up pretty damn well. A 4 speed automatic would have helped performance and wider/lower tires and a rear sway bar would help the handling (all upgrades I am considering).The V12 is just magnificent for smooth torque and cool factor, and very unique in styling.

I think that itā€™s the sign of the times. Back in the day that these cars were new (say the 83. with the HE engine), 300HP was big HP cars. Period motoring reviews in the UK had them pitted against the 560SEC and Porsche 928.

None of these cars are that fast these days.

You want lackluster power ? Try a 450SL. Cruises great but bottom end sucks, the 14" tires squeal upon any spirited turning, I can go on. They do look great though. My opinion, Jaguars are much better cars to drive.

1 Like

BTW. I have both. The 450SL has had a $ 55,000 restoration by a previous owner and I enjoy my Jaguars (multiple) much more.

The US model 450SLā€™s are smogged out and only make 190hp (the last of the line made 160hp). Furthermore, the 3 speed auto has a 1-2 shift at around 60mph making it more like a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Euro cars made 225hp. Youā€™re correct in that theyā€™re not tire scorchers off the line, but they do pretty well at highway overtaking speeds.

By 1986, MB had introduced the R107 560SL which was the same body style but more more powerful and had an extra gear and by 1990, the R129 which decimated the competition.

I thought he was doing some major dissing of the car (even making fun of the pronunciation of the name) and basically came across to me as a rump-hole ā€¦ :-1: We need to strongly respond to some of his ā€œfindingsā€ in the comments section and set him straight, IMHO ā€¦ And where did he come up with that story that Jag went with the XJS-C b/c it feared that convertibles were about to be made illegal? :roll_eyes: Iā€™m wondering if he has a problem with Brit luxury cars ā€¦ He also disses another classic British marque in another recent video of his ā€¦

He def has no technical abilities, he is reviewing it as a Joe consumer who is more interested in ashtrays and seatbelts than the actual car. He should review hair shampoos. He doesnā€™t deserve our time.

1 Like

I think that if you watch more of his videos, itā€™s his style to exaggerate what he thinks is a quirk. He did the same with the Mercedes Benz 560SEL which is probably the most no nonsense car in the world. Heā€™s not wrong about convertibles being made illegal. As far as I understand, it was considered during the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s and why domestic car manufacturers dropped making convertibles for a while or started making t-tops. Iā€™m not sure that this is why Jaguar made the cabrio at first, but itā€™s probably why they did not offer a convertible with the XJS in the first place when the E-type was so successful as one.

It was rumored, but never made into law.

Correct, but the rumors were enough to stop manufacturers from tooling up to build convertibles.

I agree with attydallas3.

I wasnā€™t going to get sucked in on this but it has got the better of me. Some of his comments I agree with however a lot Doug DeMuro has to say about the XJS, I find hard to take seriously as many of his criticisms are somewhat tenuous.

1. Iā€™m not sure the value in comparing older classics with modern day vehicles has any real valueā€¦. the older the classic the more fault you will find on a comparative basis as manufactures learn from their mistakes and grow with modern advances.
    EG engine covers, accelerationā€¦ being two point he compares.
  2. Some of Dougā€™s efforts to debase the car appear to come from grabbing of strawsā€¦
    a) in having a swipe at the ā€œnormalā€ labelling of the cabin heating selector he fails to mention thatā€™s how the engine temp is displayed in Jags and all most every car at the time. Normal is normal Doug.
    b) the ā€œdozens and dozens and dozens of receiptsā€ contained in the Jagā€™s folder justifying the XJSā€™s unreliability seemed more than tenuous. Agreed there is plenty of history that some XJSs break down with some frequency however the receipts he proffers bear no evidence of that. Any well serviced vehicle of 30 years of age is going to have at least 60 service receipts. If it was the best he could do by exemplifying the two receipts to back his convictions then he failedā€¦ one was a service receipt and the other was for a carpet replacement not covered by warranty and so was probably damaged by vomit, tar or chewing gum or other ā€¦ none of which was a Jaguar problem.
    c.) ā€œquality is lowā€¦ interior is nice and has held up well but these are known for poor reliabilityā€ā€¦ come on Doug which is it?ā€¦ if it is nice and has held up well, whereā€™s the poor reliability?ā€¦ if only you made sense Doug.
    d) As most V12 coupes (modern as well) have nothing but parcel shelves in the back, I have (as most people) treated the back seats in an XJS as nothing more than a receptacle for small children, dogs or a simply large parcel shelf. So he crams his great lug of a body into the back of an XJS to make a point that it is not big enoughā€¦ for what? ā€¦a sedan?? ā€¦ you were comparing sports carsā€¦. again make up your mid Dougy boy.
    e) one of Dougā€™s most poignant criticisms is that of the V12 Label pasted on the back of the car. All I can say, if there wasnā€™t one there I would have put one there, as would most of us.
    Trev scoreā€¦ā€¦ entertainment 4 out of ten (he did hold my attention if only to critique). ā€¦ quality of content 2 out of 10
    Thatā€™s a whopping 6 out of 20. Donā€™t think Ill be clicking on his YouTubes again.
    There, I have been sucked in.
    Trev
2 Likes

Real valueā€¦how about $200,000 a month? Based upon a recent comparison of youtuber monthly income I watchedā€¦it was offered that based upon number of views for content per monthā€¦and typical ad revenueā€¦that Big Daddy Doug Demuro pulls in about $200,000 a month. I suspect he will not change his style of car reviews.

Cheers.

Wowā€¦ but thatā€™s value to him not for us. We just get his drivel which I shouldnā€™t take seriously.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t care for this review, as I did not, take a look at the review and drive of a 1990 V12 on the latest Hagarty Insurance page. No BS about too many ashtrays etc etc. The tester enjoyed the car, its ride, handling and stated that he would keep his eye out for a gold XJS to match his hat. Its nice he doesnā€™t want a red one because mine is not For Sale. John

1 Like