ZF steering rack conversion questions

Well, I sprung for an xjs zf rack off ebay. It was sans inner tie rods, boots etc… and I was thinking no prob, i’d like to have new anyway. I see now I may have been too eager. I can’t find part numbers that I’m sure of and some listings show nla. Can anyone help?

1993-95 Jaguar XJS XJ12 Power Steering Rack & Pinion 7852974223

Sorry, this will go in my 1975 XJc, to replace the presently leaking adwest rack.

Great project! This is one of the very few improvements I carry on my long term to do list for the Jag.

If this is the rack ZF developed for the late XJS sportspack, it is a huge step forward in precision feel and long term reliability.

You should use the sports pack bushings for the respective XJS model. You will have to make up new p/s fluid lines and probably adapters as the “intake” at your new rack is different from the Adwest rack and maybe metric instead of imperial on your early SII rack. Finally, you will need a different lower steering column as the height of the ZF rack tower is different from the Adwest tall tower rack. However, any later XJS or late XJ column will do as the later Adwest rack had the small tower as well.

Other than that the ZF rack should be a direct replacement. Please take notes and pictures anyhow and keep us posted.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Jochen, thanks very much for the reply and the info, I’ll be sourcing a later column end.
This rack is from an aston martin but is supposed to be the same part number as the same year xjs. My problem is it came without inner tie rods, bellows and ends. I’m having trouble finding correct part numbers for those.

This is the item I bought…

I texted David Boger and monday he’s going to check part numbers and see if they’re the same as the x300. Looks to me like a very standard inner tie rod similar to many others, I’m thinking measurements and matching may come up with a non-original but equal substitute from another make. David is a great guy and extremely knowledgable in this area so I’ll wait to get his opinion.

Sounds like a good plan.

If you can verify the ZF part no. it should be easy to identify the Jag part no. It might be JLM20171E. Then you might need inner rod ends JLM409 and outer tie rod ends JLM1098.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

The ZF number on the rack is ZF 7852 217 c. The JLM409 inner tie rod has a female fitting on the rod itself to mate with a male thread on the rack and I’m pretty sure is for the adwest rack. The ZF rack has female threads to mate with inner tie rods that have a male thread for this. I see lots of posts with people getting the wrong inners when ordering for the ZF rack, looks like Jag only references one part number for the inner tie rods for these years, when the ZF rack clearly uses a different part. I’ll keep looking though…
BTW this ZF rack number is common on many cars from audi to Aston, porsche etc… so those cars would use different inner tie rods I’m sure. But one might use the same ones as the jag, I’d love to know.

xjs zf inner tie rod pic

I think the inner tie rods will have to look like this…

Then there’s this…

I posted a pic in the classifieds, the site I got it from called it an xj40 lower column installed in a ser1 car. It’s incorrect, it’s a series 3 lower column. Just wanted to clarify somehow. The longer series 3 lower column is required for a ZF rack swap, but I think an actual xj40 lower can be used but must include the xj40 upper u-joint.

Another update… The ZF rack is indeed the exact same width, sans tie rods, as the adwest rack. So obviously the inner tie rods will need to be the same length as the original adwest bits. Got a JLM1097 off amazon for $7 bucks :sweat_smile: with tax and shipping to play with. The threads are the same, but the inner threads are about 3/16 too long and the outer is about 3/4 in too long. So I’ll keep looking. This length could be different depending on the tie rod end so I think I’ll go ahead and get those to verify.

Ok, the JLM1097 will not work, 1 in too long. Anyone needing a new one let me know and I’ll send it to you gratis.
The ones that I’m 99 percent sure are good are 88-07 xj6/12, the only part number on the listing is EP-1322291. Looks like this…

Have them in hand and they look to be perfect, but I haven’t put this on the car yet. Tie rod ends are these…

Delphi TA1518

And this lower column…
1985 ser3 lower column. Next time be patient, use David Boger.

Just updating as I can, maybe a couple weeks before I get back to the Jag. I’ll update this as I go along, maybe help others in one post where I had to take a round the internet world cruise to get to this point.

So they are too long… that beats too short. Will they thread on the rack?

Yes but the rack end would need about 1/8" ground off, and the other end would need about 3/4 cut off and idk if that would leave enough to adjust the tie rod end. All this is needless though with EP-1322291, it’s fine as is.