Front license plate holder to bonnet attachment

does anyone have a diaghram or picture of how the front license plate holder attaches to the body?
i think there must be some grommets or rubber blocks of some kind.
tia
ed

There is a broadly u-shaped rod that is threaded at either end. It passes through two holes in the bonnet belly pan just under the air intake, backed up by two aluminum blocks that follow the inner contour, and nutted in place. The actuating rod passes through a slot in the nose then through a hole in the hinge panel through to the horizontal member of the trapeze, on which there is welded a triangular tab to which the rod is fixed. Vis:

I leave it off. The car looks and feels better without it.

1 Like

thanks nick. looks like there is a rubber bumper between body and attaching bracket. what are the bumpers demensions?

Not rubbers, Ed. They are steel washers welded to the mounting rod.

what are the demensions of the two aluminum blocks?
blocks mounted interior to bodywork?

On my 1969 Series 2 the holes were more inside the mouth opening, probably because of the larger opening on the S2:

With the holes there, the attachment used a pair of these brackets:

Here is a sketch I did for a Forum member who was going to make a pair for his S2 as he could not find a source:

That long hole on the underside of the bonnet (for the rod) would have a rubber grommet fitted. I still have mine but looked and was unable to find anyone offering a replacement.

Looks like a different setup for sure, Geo. Handing this over to you.

geo, can you post pix of the rubber plug?
thanks

Ed, I used Geo’s sketch when I made the brackets for my front license plate bracket. I can attest that they did work but the clearance to the ground when the bonnet is opened is fractional. I only had them on for a short time and swear that the car ran hotter with them on so removed them and filled the 2 holes with painted plastic plugs.

Andy 69 FHC

[quote=“69roadster, post:8, topic:349599, full:true”]
geo, can you post pix of the rubber plug? thanks[/quote]

It’s a grommet rather than a plug (i.e. there is a hole in it for the rod).

The bonnet is in the ‘full upright and locked position’ at the moment…

…but I was able to crawl under and get a shot in the general direction of the piece:

Please let me know if you find a replacement.

Just thinking out loud here.

since grommets come in a multitude of sizes and do bend to conform to on circular openings wouldn’t a round grommet work as long as the circumference of the holes matched?

Ed;
The grommet for the oblong opening on the under pan is available from SNG Barratt. The same grommet is used for the ‘guide’ for the parking brake cable that is located at the rear of the driveshaft tunnel lower left side. The number is (C. 4548), there is also a plug listed to use if no front license plate is used, (BD. 20989).
Here are a few pictures of how I attached my front plate. They are dark and the car is BRG.
jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1440452898

I was not as bright as Geo and did not know there were special brackets for the license plate holder. My Dad had drilled holes in the front of the underpan for the license so I welded over the top holes and used the front holes. I am my dad’s son after all!!

Regards, Joel.

Thanks for the part numbers - I wondered when I replaced that handbrake grommet if it could also be used for the bonnet hole.

Thanks Joel. I didn’t know they were still available. I need the plug.

I just acquired a '66 FHC and am trying to figure out hoe to remove the front plate holder. It’s quite the Chinese puzzle, Looks much more complex than it should be.

John;
I will try to give you some help but my car is a 70 2+2 and a S 2 so some parts may be different.
First look and try and determine how the license is fastened to the bonnet. If the bolts and / or nuts are hidden inside the nose of the bonnet then you have to remove the center panel between the two valences on either side.
To do that you may have to remove the motif bar (this I am not sure of on your car).
The center panel (forms the floor of the ‘mouth’ opening) is fastened with three sheet metal (pozidriv) screws on either side accessible from inside the ‘mouth opening’. There are three sheet metal (pozidriv) that are accessible from behind the mouth but in front of the raditator. These may be difficult because of confined space and possible rust. Once you have the screws out the panel lifts up from the back and then you can bring the front edge of the panel up and over the mouth lip, turn it somewhat obliquely and then remove it from the mouth. I think the license fasteners should be accessible under the lip of the mouth.
I would suggest getting a repair manual and a illustrated parts manual and spend some time reading and looking at pictures of what you want to work on, it will make the jobs less frustrating.
I will tell you the only Jaguar I have taken apart is my 70 S2. I have never worked on or driven a older E Type. So take my repair instructions with a grain of salt. The suggestion of the illustrated parts manual and a repair manual is solid.
Good luck.

Regards, Joel.