123 Distributor seating

Good morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening that should cover everybody,
Just finishing a total restoration on my 67 E type OTS and I’m in the process of installing a new 123 distributor. Got it down past the O ring which was a challenge now I can not get it to seat into the distributor drive. it looks obvious how it seats with the “T” slots matching up to the distributor drive. Any advice on the best way to seat this distributor?. Thank you very much!
Tom

There is a slight offset in the T slots. Try 180 degrees rotation and see if it drops in.

Yup. It really doesn’t matter where the rotor is pointing once the dizzy is seated. If the distributor doesn’t want to drop in, just turn the rotor while gently pushing downward until you feel it engage the slot in the drive shaft. Then, with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, attach the high tension wire from #1 to the cap post that sits nearest to the rotor. Then, if I recall correctly, turn the distributor until the green light comes on and you’ll have static timing. Even if the distributor is 180 deg. out of “normal” orientation, the engine will run just fine. (Just ask Mike Oldak :wink:/

Tom, I had exactly the same problem with mine. Remove the clamping plate and clamping ring from the engine and make certain that they fit over the 123 shaft collar. You’ll also find that the ends of the dog drive on the 123 are a sharp 90° angle whereas the Lucas dog is beveled. Carefully file the sharp edge off the dog drive to remove razor sharp edge. Hopefully then it should go in but I had to push mine down hard.

Thanks Andy. Good advice I got it to seat.
Tom

Thanks Mark I got it to seat.
Tom

Thanks William. I got it to seat with a combination of tips from the guys on the forum.
Tom