140 Option questions

I will post the pics in a few days. Apologies for the long delays between my posts in 2006 and now. With 15 or so ongoing restorations in our shop I have seldom had time for much else but now that I have turned the biz over to my Son I have more time to play.

1 Like

OK. I have managed to get pics that will substantiate my theory that there is a mistake either in transcribing the records or in the original records, Anyone here I can send the pics to who can post them ? Posting pics here is above my pay grade and my computer savvy Son is out.

How would I go about having my Heritage Certificate corrected if this is indeed possible?

You asked about the number under the head, i.e. the casting number.
The standard head, unofficially called the “A head” because it came before the C head and the B head, would be C6733, in this picture located midway on the exhaust side, though that could vary.
PICT0006
The C head would have C7707, again here shown on the exhaust side.
XK140%20C%20head%20003
No S on your block or head or data plate means you likely have the C6733 head.

It certainly looks like a mistake on the part of JDHT putting an S suffix on your engine number. Perhaps the words Special Equipment were entered in the hand written record book in 1955 because of the JLE gearbox, which the E means it has the Laycock-DeNormanville overdrive unit. This is the meaning of the suffix DN on the chassis number. In this case it was special in that it had this piece of special equipment, but not all the optional special equipment that was available. The JDHT researcher may have mistakenly assumed that the S was missing in the record book.
You could try writing to them and see if they’ll redo it. Or take a razor blade and gently scratch out the S.