140 Option questions

My 140 DHC which I have owned for 50 years came from the factory with no wind screen washers. It also has discs and spats. Were these part of an options package? I assume my car is the base line model. It does have overdrive. Did all 140s have OD? Any other items not offered on the base models?

Hi Restorer,
no windshield wipers and disc wheels with spats was what came with the base line model, which, I believe is very rare. Also, afaik, the base line model didn‘t have a heater.
Chris

Mine came with a heater. It was only a 13 year old used car when I bought it. Zero modifications as far as I can tell. Possible the heater was added I suppose. I’ll have to take a close look.

Anders Clausager goes into this in his book XK140 In Detail, but I‘m not at home right now and can‘t look it up. There are some great pictures of a base line UK car in battleship grey in it, which alone are worth the price for it

What is odd is this. This is a totally numbers matching car which I have owned since 1969 and I know nothing was ever changed on it. When I bought it XK Jags were not collectible and only eccentrics like myself would drive one as his daily transportation. Here’s the odd thing. The Jag Heritage cert I received lists it as a “Special Equipment Model”. All numbers as well as all details (paint color, upholstery, etc) on the cert match my car. Am I to assume that the Special Equip Model notation was just a mistake on the part of Jag Daimler Heritage? It was originally shipped to Bahrain and somehow found its way to under a tree wasting away in Pennsylvania where I rescued it.

Restorer 32:

According to Philip Porter, “Original Jaguar XK” (2003 p.65), “Windscreen washers continued to be optional on standard 140s, but they were fitted on SE versions.” He also states, “When washers were not fitted, the holes in the scuttle top were filled with chrome-plated round-head screws.” OD was available as an optional extra on 140s from engine number G.1015 October/December 1954. Again, according to Porter, “Additionally, another gearbox–the JLE series–was fitted to 140s when overdrive was specified” (pp.112-113).

Chris.

Just as an aside, windscreen washers reveal an anomaly in the UK’s ‘construction and use’ requirements. They remain the subject of the only piece of legislation regarding legal requirements for vehicles in Britain to have been applied retrospectively. Thus, if your car was built before seat belts were required to be fitted (1964), you still do not have to fit seat belts for your car to be road legal. If it has a windscreen, but no washers, you will have to buy a kit to fit washers. Doesn’t matter what type, but they must be fitted and must work. Luckily, my '55 SE does have screen washers (but no seat belts).

Hi Restorer32,
Perhaps your 140 really is a SE version, with the wire wheels deleted and having instead, spats and disc wheels ?
Does the chassis serial number on the data plate start with an ‘S’ ?

Similarly, I bought my 140 when it was only 13 years old, decrepid, worn out, and just an old sportscar.
I used it to pick up girls, and for that purpose, it actually really worked, good enough for me anyhow.
Now, 50 years later, I am the one that is decrepid, worn out, and just an old guy. My car looks much better nowadays, though, S818919DN, you can see it on XKData, if interested.
Is your ‘140 on XKData?

1 Like

Nope, no S on the chassis serial number. Nor does the Heritage cert show the chassis number as beginning with an S. Just says under Model “Jaguar 3.4L XK140 Special Equipment Model”. Strange.

No surprises.

XK140 was available in three different model packages, but then you could add additional options or delete certain detail.

The simple answer is the basic model wa called an XK140 with a standard 180 hp engine with disc wheels, spats, no windscreen washers, single exhaust with a chassis number starting with 8 and no prefix. But you could add options.

Then you had the Special Equipment model, or as called by the Americans the XK140M which had the same 180 hp engine, but added wire wheels, twin exhaust, windscreen washers etc as standard, now with a chassis number with an A prefix. Plus you could add or delete options.

Then, top of the line. If you added the 210 hp ‘C’ type engine, the Americans called it an XK140 MC , but the factory/British called it the XK140 ‘Special Equipment with C-type Engine’, but again rarely special options could be added. But chassis number now had ‘S’ prefix and engine number had an S suffix.

If your XK140 quotes a chassis number with an ‘8’ prefix, and no A nor S prefix it is a ‘standard’ XK140 but if it had any extra options that will usually be declared on a factory Jaguar Heritage Trust certificate. No surprises, all straight forward.

Roger

Bottom

1 Like

So then I can assume that the “Special Equipment Model” notation on my Heritage Certificate is either an error in transcriptions or an error in the original records. This is the 50th year of my ownership so this is the year to either begin restoration or sell it, Ironically I have owned and operated a restoration shop for 40 of those 50 years.

Best if you show a scan of your Heritage Certificate so we can see what the confusion is.

Otherwise we are just guessing whether it’s an interpretation issue or most unlikely, but a very rare error.

Nothing to interpret on the certificate from Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust. First line it says “Model” in the left hand column. Right column it says “Jaguar 3.4L XK140 Special Equipment Model”. Everything else, all numbers, upholstery color, body color, etc is correct. An error in transcription seems to be the only logical conclusion.

Then tell us all of the numbers, complete with any suffix or prefix letters.

Ok, no problem. Vin 817440DN, Engine G3505-8S, Body P3555, Gearbox JLE29204.

Ok.

It’s either an anomaly or an error in your Heritage Certificate.

The chassis number indicated a standard non- special equipment XK140 LHD DHC, whereas the engine number indicates a c-type head.

Next step is to check whether your ID plate is original (need a good photo - not just verbal advice), and check your physical chassis number stampings.

Then need a few photos of head, first the stamped in engine number, and the head sequence number at very rear of the spark plug valley, and if possible (it is, but difficult), the numbers on the underside surface of head.

I can check all these against my extensive records and see if their is any anomalies first.

Roger

Hi,

Somebody (name mentioned is Jeff??) refers to engine number G3505-8 (without the S) in XKData.com.for chassis number 817440DN. So the question is whether there is an “S” or not on the engine …
According Clausager only two XK 140 DHCs have been exported to Bahrain: one Standard and one SE/C. So both possibilities are still open…

Bob K.

original rego records do not record “S” on chassis or engine number
it would be good to get this one sorted as same question from 10 years ago,
Also ties in with our new XK140 book due out later this year title not accurate as it includes all of Asia Africa and South America!
terry

old info
7 May 2007 00:47:35 +0200
Subject: [xk] Heritage Certificate

I purchased my 140 DHC in 1968 here in small towm Pennsylvania.
There was a Jag dealership less than a mile from where I found the
car so I assumed that the Jag was purchased locally and likely
spent it’s entire life in the area. Just received my Heritage
Certifcate and surprisingly the car was sold thru the distributor A
& M Koohiji in Bahrein, Persian Gulf, and somehow found its way to
Pennsylvania. Can anyone shed any light on Mr.Koohiji and his
distributorship? Can any further info be teased from the original
UK Registration NWK116? Original owner was a W. Woodward. Last
question; What does Special Equipment Model actually mean as
concerns a 140 Drophead? Thanks?
Jeff

XK 140 Drophead owned since 1968
Glen Rock, PA, United States 7 May 2007 00:47:35 +0200

Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 From: “Herve” 140FHC058@free.fr Subject: Re: [xk]
Finally! Restorer32 (got a name?) The chassis # is lacking one digit… Best,
Herve
ore info…Chassis # 81744DN, Body # 3555, Engine # G3505-8, head #s the
same,Gearbox # JLE29204.
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 From: “restorer32” penndutchrestore@aol.com Subject:
Re: [xk] Finally! In reply to a message from Herve sent Mon 8 May 2006:
Apologies for the anonymity, name here is Jeff. I’ll have to look for that
missing digit. Garage light is a bit dim and the data plate is a bit dirty
and my eyes aren’t what they used to be I guess. [XK 140 Drophead owned
since 1968 Glen Rock, PA, United States]

dear sir,
I saw your note re the XK140 you have and was interested in that I am
writing a book with a friend on XK jaguars and it will include your car.
I have the original registration documents for it in the UK
NWK116
817440DN
G3505-8
suede green
first rego 13 may 1955 expired 30 june 1955
distributor A & M Koohiji in Bahrein, Persian Gulf,
first owner: Mr WB Woodward c/- American express london

I would be very interested to find out details of who you brought the car
from, what american registration numbers it has had and currently has and I
would love to get some photos of the car as you first brought it and as it
is now. Any other history you know of would be also most welcome
These will need to be large size scans or full size pics so that will be big
enough to use in the book
regards terry
Australia

7 May 2007 00:47:35 +0200

I purchased my 140 DHC in 1968 here in small town Pennsylvania.
There was a Jag dealership less than a mile from where I found the
car so I assumed that the Jag was purchased locally and likely
spent it’s entire life in the area. Just received my Heritage
Certifcate and surprisingly the car was sold thru the distributor A
& M Koohiji in Bahrein, Persian Gulf, and somehow found its way to
Pennsylvania. Can anyone shed any light on Mr.Koohiji and his
distributorship? Can any further info be teased from the original
UK Registration NWK116? Original owner was a W. Woodward. Last
question; What does Special Equipment Model actually mean as
concerns a 140 Drophead? Thanks?
Jeff

XK 140 Drophead owned since 1968
Glen Rock, PA, United States

To: mcgrath1@bigpond.net.au

Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:32 AM

Subject: Re: XK140 DHC 817440DN

You likely have as much info on the car as I do. I purchased the car locally in 1968 in shabby condition for the princely sum of $212.50, painted it yellow (what was I thinking?) and drove it for a year while in college. I then put it into storage where it remained literally untouched for 39 years. I have been in the restoration business for 30 years and finally can afford to begin restoration of one of my own cars after restoring a 150 and a Mark VII for clients along with literally dozens and dozens of other makes. Strangely, when I applied for a Heritage Cert I was informed that the records showed the car to be a Special Equipment model, which it clearly never was. This car only ever had discs, spats, no windscreen washers, etc. and was obviously never changed from original. I am now in possession of some folks dream, a standard XK with a cert for a Special Equip model. I will restore the car as original in every respect as to colors and outfitting. As to Mr Woodward, I have no idea how the car got from the Middle East to Pennsylvania but I have my suspicions. This area has always been home to the York Corporation ( now Johnson Controls) which provided large industrial air conditioning and infrastructure work worldwide at least as far back as the 1940’s. I hypothesize that our Mr. Woodward was likely an engineer with York Corp. Woodward is still a local name and my intent is to contact the family. Perhaps someone remembers the car. Mr. Woodward could conceivably still be above ground I suppose. I always assumed that it came from the local Jag dealer, I guess because I bought the thing less than a mile from the dealership, which was still operating in '68.

You say you have documentation on my car. Do you mean copies of records or actual paperwork?

I have no pics of the car as found. After all, a '55 Jag was not a collectible car in '67. It was just another used car, still depreciating in value. Could supply pics of the car as it is now but don’t see the value in pics of another partially disassembled and rusty Jag. Bad news is there is a lot of rust to deal with. Good news is the car has never been molested in any way.

Probably should also have kept the 150 S Roadster I talked Dad into purchasing in 1969 for $700.

I would certainly appreciate any further info you might have on my car. If I can be of help in any way please just ask.

Jeff Hammers/Penn-Dutch Restorations

The Jeff mentioned above would be me. As suggested I will post pics. May be a few days since I have to unearth it in the garage. From my notes taken of the original numbers on the car I see that there is no S suffix to the engine number. Nor is there a “C Type” on the valve covers nor a “C” on the head but I will post pics to confirm. I have no illusions that this car is anything other than a Standard model DHC but I would like the certificate to state what the car actually is. Where is the number “under the head”? I certainly appreciate everyone’s tenacity in trying to solve this puzzle. Was the OD trans standard on all 140s?

guessed as much
OD was an option on all XK140’s including even if you ordered the “M” or “MC” version.
there are a few examples of XK140’s with disc wheels having the C type motor but standard chassis - somebody could actually do a delete option on the wire wheels same applied to the XK120 one such car here in Western Australia and have seen another at Watkins Glen back in 1989.
I am doing a book on XK140’s right at this moment love to get some photos of the car as you first found/got it. Also pic of ID plate and the number stamped into vertical section of head at front of valley will put this to bed.
regards terry