1938-48 Rear Lights

I understand that the only wiring diagram available to me for my '38 2.5 Litre car is diagram W70440 covering the '45-'46 cars, correct?
I’m studying it and my rear light unit.
The diagram shows two tail lights inboard, one stop or brake light on the left outboard, and one reverse light on the right outboard.
Some PO has apparently converted my unit to have two brake lights, thus dispensing with the reverse light. Both lenses are all red.
rear%20light%20unit
From a safety viewpoint I suppose this is sensible for driving in modern traffic, even if possibly not strictly required in my jurisdiction for a car that did not have two brake lights from new, though I wouldn’t like to have to contest the point with the rozzers.
But a white reverse light is also a sensible safety item, when backing in parking lots crowded with pedestrians for example. And possibly required since it had something when new.
So what have others done about this?

Rob,

You should be able to do much better than W70440 covering 1945-6 cars.
A quick look at my Lucas collection index I seem to have quite a few items Lucas for SS-Jaguar period, but whether exactly correct for your car or not, I will have to get out folder they are stored in and check first hand.

I certainly know I have a complete Lucas Spare Parts List for both 1937 and 1938 (1-1/2 and 2-1/2 litre), but they don’t include wiring diagram, and I do have wiring diagrams for both 1939 1-1/2 litre and 1939 2-1/2 litre, but I am sure I have more, so probably 1938 as well. If of interest, will dig them out and see exactly what, but send me an email direct.

Roger

On a LHD MK IV dhc we are doing here, we have made new separator plates with new double filament bulb holders so each bulb has two filaments lighting. Also because the original bulb holders are mazak and have expanded and give an unreliable earth
If Rob needs an original red/clear D lense there is one on ebay uk as at last night. modest price from memory.
We had the new separator plates leser cut, but they need to be different on a MKIV to an SS. I’ll try and get a pic tomorrow.originally of course the inside of the light compartment of the spare wheel cover was painted white and the number plates were black with white translucent numbers that were back lit

Hi Rob,

The '38/'39 diagram is in the Owners Handbook.
I chose to have two brake lights and no reversing lamp. So both lenses full red.

Peter

I converted mine as follows:
1 - Changed all lenses to the type with a red strip and white D to appear as a matched pair.
2 - Made a new bulb support plate per original style and fitted three bulb holders - one for number plate as original behind the red strip, one double filament red bulb for brake and extra tail, and one clear bulb for reversing.
In operation, when the tail lights are on, the whole lens is illuminated red.

• When the brake lights are on, the D section brightens in red.
  • When the reversing is on, the D section illuminates.
  • A reflective panel added on each side, to the steel inner panel behind the lamps, to enhance the brightness.
    It works well and is much more obvious and safer for today’s driving conditions.

Rob,

I have some red/clear lenses if you need/want them.

Art