1938 Saloon Rear Spring Shackle Bolts

They are 7/16" diameter x 2-5/8" and 3" long shoulder bolts. I wrecked one getting it out. Doubtful I will be able to get the fronts out without wrecking them. Has anyone found a source for this non-standard size?

If not, I am thinking of changing to 1/2" which are readily available, as are 1" OD x 1/2" ID rubber bushings. Comments?

Classic fasteners in Adelaide list 7/16" x 3 1/2" and 2 3/4"BSF in their catalogue, Shouldn’t be too hard to shorten.
I can’t quote sizes , but aren’t the rubber spring shackles the same as XK . perhaps 1/8" shoter on some models , I recall turning the inner sleeve down a fraction in the lathe for some

You will find the fronts interesting to reove and i find damaging them to bethe least on my worries.

I have memories of cutting the end closest to the chassis rail off and hitting g the other end to drive it out wards and when that reach the chassis rail cutting more off. and so on. I also found it help ful to take the load off the spring. Actually I made a tool , A long square piece of steel tubing that could reach across under the chassis rails with a hole right through it
A U shaped yoke to go o either side if the spring, two holes at the top so a strong bolts go go across to capture the spring and pul it down. The base of the U had a hole and a long bolt through to go down and enable the load to be taken off the spring shackle bolt.

Thanks, Ed. The first one popped up on me when I drove out the bolt, and I put a bar clamp on the other one to hold it before I drove out the bolt.
A spring lever, eh. Clever! I was wondering how I would get them back in.

The rear springs are difficult to work on just because of the poor access with the body on but having the weight of the car as a tool makes it much easier than trying control a lever to line up a spring eye with no body weight.

Peter

I saw the drawing of that hook tool in the Service Manual and I wondered how it was intended to be used. Thanks much.