1948 MK IV. Door panel removal

Hello fellow enthusiast. I’m having trouble to remove the handles to remove the door panel on my car.
The transport breaker the glass on the drivers side and I’m also looking for the glass.
Seems to be flat and easier to do. Any suggestions.
Thanks to all
Alex

It’s easier with two people .
Insert a screwdriver [ flat [ behind the edge of the handle and push back the spring loaded bezel around the handle

This will expose the shaft and a pin through that retains the handle
Tap out the pin with a small drift,making sure to catch it and not lose it

Replacement is pretty much the reverse.

You can get the glass cut , these days from laminated
Make sure they grind the sharp edges off

Hello Ed.
Thank you so much for your comment I’ll do so and let you know how it works.

Alex Ballesteros.

MODERN CLASSICS
r e s t o r a t i o n s

Here is a picture showing the bezel pushed back and a small screwdriver pushing the pin out.

I think the factory boys must have had some kind of fork tool to hold the bezel back when they did this job.
There are four holes in the handle, though only two are used for the pin, so you can put the handle on any of four ways.

In addition to Ed & Rob’s instructions, the panel, if original, is attached to the door frame with keyholes all around the thin wood panel, which slide over the pan-heads wood screws. Thus you need to raise the panel 1/4" to separate from the screw heads, This can be accomplished after removing small stay screws along the top panel hedge behind the finished walnut facia trim.
If you are in need of a replacement door glass, (for a DHC) I do have a few original panels with the etching marks. If using glass, it must be tempered.
POPOP

Indeed the MK IVDHC has these keyholes which drop over the heads of screws

The saloons however have a quite different system. two strips with a joggle in them at each side of the door panel [ At an angle to match the edge of the door and the panel is slid down onto the the joggles interlocking

The rexine around the winder hande must be held out while this is being done to avoid tearing it .

The armrest bracket slips through a slot in both rexine and plywood and has 2 screws going through all of theis into the metal behind it
It plays a major part in locating the trim panel

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the clarification difference between the DHC & Saloon door panels. Re-installation of a DHC door panel has always been a wrestling match on my car.
On another topic, regarding left side slight lower height difference on my DHC, your recommendation of checking-out the rear trailing chassis rail for proper alignment did not reveal any noticeable irregularity. I did notice that the height sometimes vary to normal, within 1/4" matching the right side. Could this indicate weak leaf spring front or rear ? if so, would a 1/2" shim (rear) be recommended ?

Regards,
Popop

I would have a guess that if there is a difference in ride height , and the chassis is OK , then perhaps one spring has a broken leaf , th shackles may be worn . The shackles are a it of a nightmare to change .
The likelihood is that they have rusted in there

To take thetension of the spring while you are removing it we…
removed the rear half ofthe exhaust system.
Got along piece of square section steel tube , about 2" square.
This was long enough to sit under the chassis across the car , It had a hole on one side and we made a U shaped saddle form bent steel with a bolt in at the base of the “U” . a long bolt that would go down through the hole in the square section mentioned above

Across the top of the U there were two holes which after it was pushed up under the spring with the U each side , could have a bolt across, to be used to pull down on the spring and take the tension off. Good quality bolts of course and do one side at a time

Thanks for the response Ed.Will keep you updated on progress.Popop