1955 Fast and the Furious

I don’t know how I came across this, but it’s kinda neat. Nice to see the XKs going and bit of impressions others had or attitudes towards them during the time period.

Though movie quality doesn’t seem correct there.

Never liked people calling the cars “Jags”…made a point never to say it myself, as if it were improper grammar.

Seems they called them that in the past as well…

Funny the gas station attendant rambling about his souped up ford or something, saying with pride he got it to 100mph at the track and it does 0-60 in 12 sec. or something…inquires what the xk120 can do.

They really must have been in awe of these cars at the time.

Thought it would be neat to find an old movie poster, hoping the xk120 was on it, etc…been into old posters these days, dunno why.

But search came across an original movie film reel of the movie!
Amazing the stuff you can find these days…

No affiliation, blah blah…

Kind regards

2 Likes

thanks for the link , I just watched it all the way through .Great to see those old sports cars . I think they spent the budget on the cars and not on a script writer .

2 Likes

Yep, per the (usually toxic) comments section, it was a “B-movie”…not mainstream.

It was discovered (somehow) and rights purchased for the recent, seemingly endless, movie series which I might add I attempted to watch once years ago.

The early version is far superior fyi, if that tells you something.

I couldn’t watch much at all of the newer version it was so bad. Cheesy and just plain poor acting, storytelling, etc.
And the first iteration of a series is supposed to be the best!

So bad. Extraordinary they made 7 of them or whatever.
But I digress…

I don’t think anything Roger Corman was involved in elevated itself above B status. But hey, he got Chet Baker for the soundtrack, and lots of cool cars.

1 Like

Ah that’s right! I recall noting that.
How did I forget to mention?!

Yes, that’s something…

Faint praise, that!!

1 Like

They did make a movie poster for the movie. I have a small one.

Cliff

2 Likes

Hey now…that’s a great one!

Good for you. I’ve yet to find any period posters, much less that image. Super.
Thanks for sharing.

@Wiggles : yup, intended to be…

Yet when there was only one girl in my class, the 5 suddenly became an 8…

Kind regards

Nash-Healey…cool!!!

What was the other one she was driving?
Allard?

Ah, well, no matter…

Allard J2, possibly J2X. Most likely with a Flathead V8.
Rather bizarrely there’s also a Jowett Jupiter in there somewhere…

Hi All:

Also evident in the footage were two C-types, a Lotus (9?), various Porsche models, a TR2 and M.G. TDs, and a Kurtis along with the Allards. Obviously footage lifted from coverage of some local west coast events–anyone recognize the track, Paramount Ranch? I love the footage of the two stars in the car, he, helmet undone, sawing away at the wheel like he was steering a truck (I recognize that an early complaint about the XK120 was heavy steering, but come on!). In addition, she, minus the racing aeroscreen, showing not a hair disturbed by the slipstream. I recall driving my M.G. TF with the windscreen folded flat back in the sixties (prior to buying my XK) and even at 30 mph it seemed like I was driving into a hurricane.

I recognize it is a matter of taste, but the only motor racing film I ever watched that I thought was credible was Michael Keyser’s “The Speed Merchants”. A documentary to be sure, however it was simply a straight up impression of one year in the sport. I always remember the voice over during the Le Mans coverage: “And then at 2:00 am we lost Jo”. A very matter-of-fact commentary on Jo Bonnier’s fatal accident. Cryptic, short, but it emphasized what was printed on virtually every page of the program for the first race meeting I ever attended at the old Crystal Palace race track in south London: “Motor Racing Is Dangerous”.

Best,

Chris.

1 Like

I was patting myself on the back there…
God I’m good, still got it after all these years, I said…

Humbled once again by this place.

Thanks for the info.

Never knew much about Allard…just knew what I knew from years as British car enthusiast.

Will look them up. Curious now.

Kind regards

These copyrighted movies don’t always last too long on youtube, but it is on DVD. I remember finding 16 copies of it on DVD at the dollar store and mailing them out to friends on this forum.

Here are some reviews.

Funny when you search on this site for films entitled Fast and Furious you get quite a few going back to the silent era, some even involving cars.

1 Like

Off topic but if you wanted to search obscure cars try Brough Superior.
I only found out last night that these exist, we even have one here in NZ

I’ve heard of it…know of them, as motorcycles.

They were the fastest in world and Rolls Royce of motorcycles if I’m not mistaken.
I believe Lawrence of Arabia had, and died, on one?

…if only he’d worn a helmet he would have survived without injury!

Copyright expired. It is also on archive.org. I remember watching it there years ago, my only complaint is that there is no better quality scan available anywhere.

I actually have this on DVD…

“Jaguar… those racing cars, from England!”