1955 Mark VII rear disc conversion help

Good morning,
Im looking to put 4 wheel disc brakes on my Mark VII. Im having the rear end fixed up and since it was out of the car, I figured Id do some research.

Ive read the nice write up that someone posted on here; however, it doesnt really go into a lot of detail on the rears. Ive noticed most people only do discs on the fronts.

The main question I really have is: Do you use the original backing plates when doing the conversion? My rear end is basically ready to go but my mechanic needs the backing plates to install the shims.

Thanks for any help.
Austin

Greetings All,

Just from experience, I would think you would need more than just a backing plate?

Most plates are bolted to a bracket that has threaded holes for the calipers to bolt. The plate is more about dust and brake line mounts. At least in my experience.

I was just wondering if you needed the backing plate at all or if there was something else. My rear end guy is waiting for me to figure it out so he can finish putting the rear end back together completely.

I understand the main parts needed for disc brakes, I dont see many cars that have backing plates on their disc brakes. I just didnt want him to put it all back together if the backing plate wasnt necessary.

You need MK9 or XK 150 rear caliper brackets, these replace the backplates.
Your guy could set the halfshaft end float using the backplates which you change to
caliper brackets, when and if you find some !!. Check end float after the change of course.
Peter B