1955 Mark VII with 4.2l inline 6 Vortec 4200

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I didnt know this section existed.

I purchased my junky 1955 Mark VII M about a year and a half ago and ive been working on it little by little. But when I bought the car, there was no engine/ no transmission so slapped in a 4.2l Vortec 4200 inline 6. Fits like a glove. I still have a looong way to go. Just started redoing the entire front suspension components.

Tell us more about this engine: not familiar with it.

I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about it myself so I copy and pasted this from Wikipedia.

The LL8 (or Vortec 4200), is a straight-6 gasoline engine produced between 2002 and 2009. It was the first Atlas engine, and was introduced in 2002 for the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, and Oldsmobile Bravada, the engine is also in use in the Buick Rainier, Saab 9-7X, and the Isuzu Ascender.

It displaces 4.2 L; 253.9 cu in (4,160 cc), with a 93 mm × 102 mm (3.66 in × 4.02 in) bore and stroke. It has four valves per cylinder, utilizes dual-overhead cams (DOHC) design, and features variable valve timing on the exhaust cam, a first for GM Inline engines. When introduced, this engine’s power was 270 hp (201 kW) at 6000 rpm and torque was 275 lb⋅ft (373 N⋅m) at 3600 rpm. 2003 saw a slight bump in power to 275 hp (205 kW), while torque was unchanged. For 2006, power was increased to 291 hp (217 kW) at 6000 rpm and torque to 277 lb⋅ft (376 N⋅m)) at 4800 rpm with the addition of a MAF and a complete internal redesign of the engine; however due to the new SAE rating procedures ratings can vary slightly between years. Engine redline is 6300 rpm.

The LL8 was on the Ward’s 10 Best Engines list for 2002 through 2005 and was the basis for all the other Atlas engines. With the closing of the Moraine, Ohio plant and the termination of the GMT360 platform (Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, etc.) the production of the LL8 was also terminated.

1 Like

Are we all thinking the same thing?
more pics please :smiley:

I remember very clearly when this engine first came out. I thought it compared rather well to the AJ16. Back then I had a 1995 X300 with the AJ16. It was a great car.

Pretty spiffy engine!

I snapped a couple extra photos but they aren’t the best. Shop lights any my camera dont take the best photo.

Also having a sand blasters is super handy haha

looks comfy in there!

Oh boy. I forgot how gross the car looked back then haha.

Heres a small update. My car didn’t have a sway bar when I purchased it and had the engine installed. So I was worried that a sway bar wouldn’t sit right but I cleaned up the entire front and installed new bushings.