1958 XK150 FHC Automatic Dash Brackets Purpose

Hello.

I have been working on the XK150 and am in the process of putting the dash back together. (Need a working petrol gauge to finish this up, see classified.)

On the back of the instrument board are 4 red primered brackets. Two of one design and two of another design. See pictures.

1 What are the two similar red primered brackets in the center area used for? Pictures would be great.
2 What are the two similar red primered brackets furthest from center area used for.
Pictures would be great.

I am thinking one or the other is used somehow for clock adjusting cable and or odometer adjusting cable. They look like at one time something was screwed to the brackets.

Thanks

Tim

There is a vinyl-covered under-dash panel that hides the wires. It mounts to those red-prime red brackets. The speedo and clock cables mount on the panel as well.

Correct. Both odometer and clock adjusting cables dangle down and fit through holes in the under dash panel. After passing through they are fitted with a thin washer and a chrome bezel nut which screws onto the cable shaft. They are not easy to install due to the panel thickness.
Pat H

Tim,

Always interesting to see an original Jaguar dashboard. Reading the number 7716 written on the back of the wood, I assume your XK150 FHC is made somewhere mid October 1957 and sold early 1958. Correct?

Bob K.

Thank you all for the notes and info. I did not know there were under dash panels. I checked again the bible (Jaguar XK150 explored) and there is no mention of under dash panels. I don’t recall seeing them from the usual suppliers either. Could someone in their spare time take a few pictures and measurements of the LH and RH under panels and let me know what these items are? Big request I know but at this time i have nothing.

As for the 7716 on the back of the wood dash;
My auto date of built, 5 November 1957,
dispatched 15 November 1957. You my good man are pretty close. My auto went to distributor Delacroix, Paris, France. Oui, oui.

Thanks again

Tim

Tim,

Here’s the panel for my 58 OTS:

They varied in shape over the production run and with various features/options (auto vs manual, radio, heater, etc.)

Most likely the body number.

Hi Tim,

I think it is described as Scuttle Top Casing Assembly in the spare parts manual - there are many variations depending on chassis number and configuration such lhd/rhd, with or without radio.

Here is a graphic from Aldridges, one of the trim companies: Jaguar XK150 FHC Underdash Panel | Aldridge Trimming Ltd.

I may make my own as I have done for the boot casing.

Regards,
Clive.

Clive,
I think your photo is of a boot cover, not a dash cover.

Thank you for the notes.

I will look into Aldridge Trimming for these items.

@Killer58 Where did you purchase that?? And that is one side correct? Can we assume you purchased the other side also?

@Rob_Reilly Bingo you are a winner! Body number J7821

Regards

Tim

Tim,
That is a one piece panel that covers the entire underside.
Mine came from OSJI in Muncie.
Both they and BAS will ask numerous questions to help determine which shape your car should have.

Tim,

I assume you meant Body number J7716? If not, somebody used the instrument panel from another XK 150 or a mistake was made at the Jaguar assembly line, swapping two wooden panels…

Bob K.

Where the heck am I looking?!!

The back of the wooden dash reads 7716. Per the XKE data my auto body number is J7821. That is not even close!

I will check my body number again on Monday.