1964 E-Type 3.8 horn part question

I bought a horn contact repair kit ($138) from the usuals and managed to lose the little spring for the little contact button that resides in the inner steering column. The part number is C16887, but is unavailable by itself. Can anyone give me dimensions of the spring? I’m sure I can find one somewhere if I just knew the OD and length.
It’s been apart for a long time, but I believe after you put the plastic collar on the column, the contact goes in the hole, followed by the spring and then slide the brass sleeve over it. Does that sound right?
Thanks, Al

I just logged on with the same exact question. Also the ridge on the collar-does it go upon down. Mine fell apart on removal as the brass slip ring stayed inside the outer column.

I meant up or down-does it matter?

Use the spring from a ballpoint pen, the retractable type, it will fit and does the job perfectly.

Dave

Hi Dave,
What goes in the hole first - the spring or the brass nipple?

Wow, now that’s a question, so long since I rebuilt mine I’m struggling to remember. I will have a look in the parts book, that tells you everything except what you really want to know.

Dave

1 Like

I have the parts book. It looks like the brass nipple/contact goes in first, but I don’t know if the drawing is accurate.
Thanks for your help,
Al

Hello AJ,
Follow Dave’s suggestion with regards to the spring. The length is not critical provided its long enough to require compressing to be able to get the Brass Contact Sleeve on, as shown in the following picture.

The brass nipple, otherwise, the spring will be insulated from the brass rod that runs in the centre of the inner steering column and the horn won’t sound, see the above picture.

Before you go too far, do a trial fit of the plastic insulator, measure the assembled OD and then measure the ID of the Brass Contact Sleeve to determine that you have the correct kit. When trying to get repair kits for two S3 Steering Columns I had to refurbish, the first kit supplied was the correct part number but way too large and clearly the wrong part, see the following pictures. The replacement was way too small and ultimately, told that the correct kit was no longer available.

Sounds simple, but when pushing the new Brass Contact Sleeve onto the plastic insulator, care needs to be taken to support the insulator axially, for there is the potential to shear the plastic housing for the spring that protrudes through the side hole in the inner steering column. I made a set of tools to press the Brass Contact Sleeve into position and then a swaging tool to make the OD surface of the Brass Sleeve circular and parallel.

Regards,

Bill

That’s what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

The ridge goes down (opposite the steering wheel.

Hello AJ,
Yes, but the fingers at the end don’t spring back very well, hence the requirement of the tools I made. If you have a safety wire twister, that can be used` to tighten a short length of wire around the ridge that locates in the groove in the plastic insulator, to pull it into the groove. Remove the piece of wire when done of course.

Regards,

Bill

You already got excellent advice (as usual) fro Bill,

Chris Vine offered this a while ago – maybe more gems to be had:
https://etype.chrisvine.com/category/rebuild/chassis/steering-column/

I have found the spring. Terrys Jag now part of Limora, a German company. Terrys list the “spring” as costing $100. I called and the lady looked it up and said it was only $11.95. It’s coming from Germany so will be a few weeks. Will let you know dia and length when they arrive-ordered two. (limora part # 341762)

My plastic sleeve came in two halves. I pulled out the column from the housing and the brass sleeve stayed inside and the plastic halves fell off and the spring must have gone flying-never saw it. Ended up using thin cutting pliers to mangle it to come out. By the way my housing has brass bearings vs felt ones. No washers as shown in parts pic #31. No one has washers and Terrys only has the felt sleeves. Keeping the brass as it seems pressed in well. Does anyone have the brass and should I use some lubricant or grease?

This whole column looks like it was designed by a committee or Germans. Anyone know of a good explanation on how it all works to just made a horn sound?

The diameter of the spring can be easily found by AJ, by simply trying the shank of various drill bits in the bore of the plastic insulator where the spring is to reside. The perfect diameter is one that is a free running fit in the bore. With regards to the length, it only needs to be of a length that requires it to be compressed to be able to push the Brass Sleeve on, and not so long that it binds in the bore when compressed. Even $11.95 is an outrageous price for this spring, just follow Dave_K’s suggestion of using a spring (or part of) from a ball point pen. Cost is Zero, if like me you have numerous defunct, spring-loaded ball point pens laying around.

Go to Craig Balzer’s recent Thread where I’ve written an explanation on how the Steering Column Horn mechanism works to make the horn sound.

As you’re referring to Felt Bushes, I assume your steering column is from an S1 car. In my opinion, the brass bearings could lead to a rattle and that the After Market, plastic bearings are a better choice.

If the brass sleeve is just a plain, pressed in sleeve, keeping grease or oil lubricant in place for more than the short term will be difficult. If you keep the Brass Bearings, I would be rubbing the surface of the bearing with graphite or molybdenum disulfide powder. You will see that a very thin layer will adhere to the surface.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Craig,
Have you got your Steering Column sorted yet?

Regards,

Bill

Bill’s explanation of horn functionality starts here

Nope
Life (med appts, house guests, final yard work before fall) has kept me out of my hobby shop of late

Hello Craig,
I don’t think that’s the correct Thread. It’s in the Thread where Danny suggests that the Horn would sound continuously because there was continuance between the Copper Pick Up Wipe and the end of the Centre Brass Rod.

Regards,

Bill

I think this’ll e the one

Bill do you know who has the plastic bearings for sale? How do I remove the brass ones? Thanks for the tip on lubrication of the brass bearings. My 61 had a steering column that was different from a Series one, similar but different. Shape of inner shaft different. Placement of all the copper contacts on outer tube in a different lower location. Bought an original and am restoring it. Hardest job so far.