1964 E-type FHC restoration

After 3 1/2 years of sandblasting, serious metal work and beautiful paint, my ‘64 E-type is finally back home, ready for the next steps.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum! That body looks seriously beautiful.

3 Likes

Starting on rear end- new rotors and half shafts

1 Like

1 Like

First set of U-joints

1 Like

Welcome!

Looking forward to following along.

@Craig_Balzer … looks like youse gots competition in the “Taj Garaj” category…:yum:

1 Like

From the few photos he has posted, he has me beat on several levels

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

Rut roh: tube radios?

Calling all old tube nuts!

:grinning:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

That first picture reminded me of our next door neighbor at our previous house. He collected antique radios. He must have had over 300 on shelves throughout his house.

1 Like

Welcome Stephen ….car looks great ….what did you need to do to get it to this stage and where are you located …looking forward to journeying with you on your adventure

1 Like

Stephen, nice paint job, it’s a little dark grey, how much was the paint job?
I will try to paint it myself, cheaply. Don’t know how I do that.
Frank

Yet.

2 Likes

Hi Danny- It’s been quite a journey getting the body to where it is now. I did the easy part- completely disassembling the car to a shell, front frame rails, picture frame, etc and bonnet. I then sent it for sandblasting, and that revealed a lot of problems. There were many areas of old damage that were poorly and incorrectly repaired, along with tons of bondo. All the credit for the great result goes to a husband-wife team who did all the metal work and painted it beautifully. The bonnet was pretty rough on the underside, so I ordered a new one straight from Jaguar UK. It was too long and wide, so it had to be cut to shorten it and cut/shaped to narrow it. I also replaced all the front frame rails, picture frame, since there was rust and significant prior damage. Needless to say, it hasn’t been a cheap fix, but very well worth the result. I’ll post some pre-bodywork photos soon.

1 Like

I’m in the Atlanta, GA area.

1 Like

BTW, noticing your Krispy Kreme sign, here in Raleigh some years ago they passed a sign ordinence that placed a limit on the size of outdoor advertising signage. City council carved out an exemption for the iconic Krispy Kreme sign at their original location.

1 Like

HOT DONUTS NOW!!
I was so sad when the iconic Krispy Kreme on Ponce de Leon (Atlanta) burned a while back- it had that same sign!

1 Like

Stephen, Im also in Atlanta and just picked up a very original '64 coupe. Let me know if you ever want to compare notes or have any questions with putting it back together. Would also be interested who did your paint, looks very nice. Jeff S.

Stephen know that feeling well…… I bought a car out of the states had it well checked there ……or so I believed …… a lot of money later I had a beautifully restored and painted body…. New floors,sills,boot floor, under valance on bonnet door skin replacements etc……. Not much bondo but very poor workmanship to start with .

About to fit the trim now so getting to the end after 8 months of reassembly ….lots of covid delays

2 Likes