1965 E type roadster for sale on Bring a Trailer

This car was sold minutes ago for $272,500 which is fantastic news for the e-type that the prices are holding their own. The restoration was exceptional and is worth every dime…

1 Like

I think the price achieved surprised everyone, including the sellers. The reserve was off at $175K, and yet around 4 bidders continued to bid it up to nearly $100K more. Before it went bizarre I’d have said $180K was all the money. All I can think is that time was more valuable than money for these 4 folks. “Got to have it now, whatever it costs…” The car was very pretty, but a 25 year old restoration (with 25 year old tyres!) by Classic Showcase. Typical Classic Showcase restoration where parts are replaced with shiny new ones rather than restored - craptastic repro horn push, mix of original and knock-off knock-offs… Hardly any miles in those 25 years, so don’t be surprised if $272.5K is just a down payment. Still very pretty though. Maybe I need to get the same sellers to unload my cars - they seem to be able to attract the deep-pocketed folks…

4 Likes

The proper medical term is, “auctionitis.”

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’m highly biased but the dark blue on OTS cars looks extremely nice so perhaps that played a part. I believe it was a a color changed car as well…

1 Like

Like David…I had 180…maybe 198…quite a surprise and 4 bidders to the end…
Not something I am celebrating…

I do not drive my ots…something about being stabbed in the head…my 2+2 is my daily driver…weird just feel protected

I have been wanting to trade an E for a big Healey…probable from bordom…I think I will get tired of being a fool…pretty soon. I mean the E goes up the H goes down…just look at BAT
Regardless…I honestly believe the E is the real deal…so it’s my daily driver

Mitch and Vicki
ps…replacing front crank seal…I guess with the ancient number C 24611…guess Welsh and I are ancient…We kind of are??

Ever driven a big Healey?

Be prepared, because the delta between the Jag and the Healey is light years different than the few actual calendar years.

3 Likes

The level of restoration and the color combination I thought was amazing and had no doubt the figure would be high…

The Healey referenced reminded me of an anecdote.

I was in the garage/shed of the previous owner of my E-type when I bought it. There was a beautiful Austin-Healey 3000 owned by his brother that would also soon go on sale.

I commented favorably on it and he said to me “it isn’t in the same league as the Jag” (referring to the driving experience.)

Dave

1 Like

…Paul,
I see a work of ART…no I have not driven a Healey…I was bracing myself, mainly because of the interview of the 2 women that raced Healeys, back in the day. She called them PIGS…well, both women called them PIGS…
Still a work of art…visually…funny, how it does not have to drive.

Thanks Paul…I consider a JEEPSTER a work of art…
Did you ever meet Dick Moore of Loveland RIP…a true blacksmith with his Wolves and all or Caroll…best body combination man…hope he is still alive…
Mitch

I really like the tan or cinnamon colour interior wished I’d changed mine over from black

I remembered back in the mid seventies I drove a modified TR4A solid axle car to high school and I would never have given that car up for a Healeys 3000 if it were not for my fuel injected TR6. The ladies were correct they were like land yachts or an old fish tail Pontiac Bonnevelle. Surprisingly I had a couple 100-4’s that were very stylish; I still prefered my TR6’s, they were fast… :blush:

1 Like

While I already had my 69 E, my 74 TR6 was so much fun. Small car with a pretty robust 6 cylinder, gotta love it!

2 Likes

Had my '76 TR6 40 years and never imagined I’d sell it until, in a fit of madness, I spotted my current '70 at a trusted local dealer and bought it on the spot. Dunno, devil made me do it. I adore my E and have never looked back – but you never forget your first.

2 Likes

I did a ground up resto on a BJ8 in the 80’s and loved it. It won a lot of awards. A wonderful fast highway car. Understeered like a pig however, and gave new meaning to “cowl shake”. Kept it for about 8 years and sold it through Fantasy Junction who sent it to the Old Timers Garage in Switzerland to sell, where, as of 5 years ago it still resides. The styling has really stood the test of time I think. The E Type is in it’s own world however. Years ahead of it’s time.

2 Likes

On the subject of cars rocketing away at auction, did anyone notice the Elton John Bentley? Guided at $25 to $35k, it went for €8 million.

Er, gulp!.

I think $8 million was first day of the whole collection that went for that much, not the Bentley. The collection included musical instruments, artwork, memorabilia, etc. The Bentley did sell for a lot more than the estimate, but about $440k USD.

first time I ever heard “fast” and
“Tr6” in the same sentence

2 Likes

I remember I thought my 1959 TR3A was fast when I owned it in 1963!

They actually were, for their day, pretty fast: I found, in pretty quick succession and much to the chagrin of many TR 6 owners, that the little wheezy TR7 4-banger would kick their butts in autocross!

10 1/2 seconds to sixty. 104 hp. IIRC