1966 XKE Brakes no pedal movement

I need help. I’ve attached pictures of my brake routing with new brake master cylinder, including reaction valve, new booster with tandem slave cylinder. I’m experiencing what I would call hydraulic lock on the pedal with no movement. It’s not spongy, it’s rock hard no compression to the floor.

1. With foot on the pedal, I have ½” of free play and zero compression or movement, rock hard.
  2. With foot on pedal, loosen the line at the Brake Slave Cylinder, I push fluid out of the fitting and the peddle travels to the floor.
  3. Pedal still to the floor, tighten fitting on Slave, release peddle, try to push pedal I have a rock hard peddle and no movement.
  4. Loosen the fittings on the tandem slave to front and rear brakes and push on pedal little fluid escapes, a seeping. It should be squirting and making a mess.
    What am I missing?

Something is making the slave stick. First try disconnecting both vacuum hoses at the servo. If you can then crack the lines at the slave and get flow, it’s the booster that’s hanging things up, check for a leaky vacuum line or reaction valve. Otherwise, a slave piston must be stuck.

Thank you Michael

I have had a servo where there was no hole drilled through to allow fluid in.

Details here.

1 Like

If your new servo/slave is from one of the usual suppliers return it for a replacement…as mentioned in a post above the scuttle in the slave isnt working correctly…there have been quite a few similar issue’s with these replacement parts …don not try to dismantle it as you will forfit the warranty…have a look here
…Steve S2 brake HEADACHE! - The 'E' Type Forum

1 Like

Andrew thanks, that’s bad. Junk from across the pond?

Good advice Steve

You guys were right, not drilled into cylinder. I feel foolish, didn’t inspect when I pulled the plugs. This is a shame on me!

Not your fault. Who would expect a hole to be missing!

Shame on the manufacturer for shipping parts out. And shame on the vendor for continuing to sell known bad parts.

Hi Jon…when did you purchase this part and from who… Steve

Steve I buy most of my parts from Welsh in Stubenville Ohio. They are 3 hours away but next day delivery. They have been a good supplier and are pulling the existing inventory and checking. It’s a part from the UK to them but who knows to the UK. Pisser is fluid control and days spent dinking around. Good thing I’m not paying someone.

1 Like

It’s not the vendor’s fault. All of these components come from the same place.

I tend to agree. However, one might think brake components being rather critical as they are would be subject to more than casual inspection.

1 Like

As Andrew pointed out earlier, this problem has been encountered before. I had tried to contact the manufacturer directly about another common issue with the servo assembly rebuilding kit, but they never replied. My suggestion is to inspect assemblies and booster kits carefully before installing.

My point was that asking who sold the part isn’t relevant if the problem is industry-wide. In this case, all vendors sell the same part from the same trusted manufacturer. And yes, any vendor that has sold a defective part should have a good return/refund policy. Nick’s question of liability is different…the American way is to sue everyone and his dog.

Agreed. The problem is in the manufacturing, but where does the liability lie if an obvious and easily detected defect should result in damsge, injury or worse, in particular if, as you point out, the existence of the problem in this particular component is well established? So, yes, I might as a purchaser expect the vendor to endure thatt what I’m buying will function as it should. Then again, if I am made aware of the possibility of a defect I might take on the responsibility of inspection before I installed the part.

It’s obvious the manufacturer made a mistake and let at least one part go out with a flaw. If Welsh looks at their stock and finds all the others correct, then it’s just bad luck that particular part made it off the line with that error. It happens, no supplier mass produces things without the occasional mistake.
Quality Control (QC) sampling, where a few parts are pulled from each batch and tested, catches trends, not individual, isolated mistakes. If Welsh finds their entire shipment with that flaw it’s apparent the manufacturer has a QC issue to address. I hope Jon reports what Welsh finds after they look at their stock on the shelves.

Retailers typically rely on the manufacturer to conduct the QC inspections for their products. That’s part of the cost the retailer pays for the product. Unless there is a history of faulty parts from a particular vendor, I wouldn’t expect the retailer to follow behind the manufacturer and conduct their own QC inspections.

Welsh’s obligation, IMO, is to ensure the customer is supplied with a correct replacement part at no additional expense to the customer and follow up with the manufacturer to help them correct any issues.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many manufacture this part but the bad one had no name. The placement today was Lockheed and had a part number.

2 Likes

I would type out the words and feelings I have for such a manufacturer, who would do such work, but even I have my limits…

As above, I have had a booster with exactly the same problem.