1970 e-type roadster lights

woke the jag up, today. put it to bed in oct., all worked fine at that time.
car started up immediately as usual. all worked great, excpet…no turn signals and 4 ways only work on rt side of car, and somewhat erratic. all lamps do light up
any ideas???

The first line of defense is to jiggle and reseat the large bonnet plug. That probably solves 90% of these problems. If it does, then it makes good sense to remove it again and clean the contacts, spread the pins a bit, add some dielectric grease to avert corrosion, and reassemble.

1 Like

No turn signals in any of the 4 corners? does the flasher unit tick/make noise? There is a separate flasher unit for the hazards and the turns. Turn is on left sidewall above your knee. Hazard is behind drop down instrument cluster. Remove, clean with electrical contact cleaner, dry, replace.

no turn signal at any corner…do not lite or blink. the green lites on dash do not lite up.
i will clean both relays and bet back to you…thanks much

Ron, Before you go tearing apart or into separate systems heed what Eric Moss recommended. You probably have an electrical issue (common) due to bad connectors and corrosion. Also, I’d check grounding points as that would also affect those systems. I’d begin by cleaning and re-seating all harness connectors in the affect systems. Figuring out “Lucas/Rist” can become a full time effort!!!
This is why we have sooooooo much fun with our Kitties!!!

Happy Trails,

Dick

i do not know where the large bonnet plug is??

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung-nf-rev1&sca_esv=09df9e42e4754873&q=e+type+largebonnet+plug+location&source=lnms&uds=AMwkrPuIX_cBw6UpuSsYazn4TElRZGUO4sPcdMYVFA82cP7FdrYkshd9GTdDWTXHEZulTqF0p0URU4DaNpz60jvPvEd1LxQkH0I8q32sUr_pxe-Jqk8WsFeAiHwTn9yZzJLgi66JaaSs_5qfBNp4eRnPqrrNQ9KG9KDvJrWA-W2JBpmSjSIwbPIvqEOLzSL_y2_oj7QkV8FcayMsshYpIRyajhBKVo6rHgADJ-NiP0FeXl2NklmJkXyuJE5nSJyUxWVWju_kd1-f2fQ-QwkcQ2LJOfCm2rGrXd0b1MiAmWv9k8jWvQueDuGZlCDdBGFcfZ3u6IX755ZlNDABEGH53it2arTr00YrrQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn8KbSlMyFAxVyv4kEHSfOA2sQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=800&bih=1280&dpr=1.5

If i remember correctly ( my car isnt here) its around where the headlights are. Also, check to see if any of the other things work that are on the same circuit as the flasher. If those things are operational, then maybe its the flasher unit.

Open the bonnet, and look at the left side of the nose. You can’t miss it as it’s 2" in diameter.

Look inside the left front (US driver’s side) wheel well.
Thick black-rubber-sleeve-encased cable usually held onto the inside face of the well with a large wire clamp – the bonnet plug is about gold ball sized, little bigger
Look high up on the forward face of the opening so the plug is as far out of the elements as possible

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, but here is where I am at…
I found the bonnet plug, wiggled and pushed, both firmly. Did not fix problem. Still no turn signals and only right side hazards work. so i have dug deeper.
i got dielectrode and added to all spades on flasher and hazard relay. no fix problems. i took out my trusty circuit tester and got the following results:
with turn signal switch on there is no power going to flasher relay. the horn works fine.
with hazard switch on only the right side lights blink.
there are 4 spades on top of hazard switch, they all have power and blink, (although only 2 are in use)
there are 2 spades at bottom of rocker, they do not show any power at all…only one of them has a wire going to it.
any and all suggestions are greatly apprecitiated.

Ron,

Time to fetch out that wiring diagram for your later Series 2 and study it. First understand how it is supposed to work, and then systematically check things out. Resist the temptation to switch out components or “guess” at what the problem is. From your description so far I would be inclined to start at the hazard switch. Be wary of assuming that the terminal numbers on the back of the switch will match those on the wiring diagram. Often they don’t if the switch has been replaced. Instead, use the wire colors to match the switch to the diagram, and if necessary do continuity checked across the switch terminals (with all wires removed) with the switch in both positions to determine which wire should be on which terminal. The first thing to notice is that the turn signal flasher unit (located under the dash mounted on the side panel of the car) for the indicators derives it’s power from the Hazard switch. If the Hazard switch is in the OFF position, the power source to the switch (on the Green wire with black identifier on the end) is switched to the turn signal flasher unit (on the Green wire). If the Hazards are turned ON, the switch turns off the power to the turn signal flasher unit. If you have no power to the turn signal flasher unit with the Hazards turned OFF, then fixing that should be a starting point. Given that you only have the right side lamps working with the Hazards ON suggests that you have more than one fault, though the entire problem could be accounted for by a miswired Hazard switch.

1 Like

Have you tried cycling the hazard switch a few times all of the wiring goes thru that switch, dirty contacts can give many unusual problems.

1 Like

yes i have

YES it did not help.

i took off and lubed with di electric. no change.

since all lights worked before i put the cat to bed, and i did not move the wires on the rocker, i believe that i can rule out a miswire.
i have no power to the flasher relay under hood, I have power to the top 4 electrodes on rocker. no power to the bottom two, when rocker is in on position.
i did not check power to the flasher relay inside fuse panel, as i would not know how to interperate. i did remove plug to front bonnet and lubed also.
i am running out of ideas. since there is no power to the bottom two terminals on the flasher rocker, could it be defective?

I think you somewhat ruled out the plug when you tried this

If no power is making it to the flash relay, then no power can go downstream to the bonnet plug. I’m not an expert on the stalk switches, especially the later ones. On the S1 cars, the stalk housing splits in half and the top is just held by spring clips. I would be using the meter at this point to verify the switch wiring and function. Just watch where you probe so you don’t blow your lovely Lucas fuses.

There is no flasher relay under the hood - at least there wasn’t when your car was new. The turn signal flasher relay is located under the underdash panel on the left hand side of the car (LHD) and mounted on the side panel of the car. The hazard warning light flasher is mounted behind the drop down gauge panel, spanning the hole in the bulkhead in the center.

What color are the wires on those two terminals? As I indicated in my earlier post, using the wire colors is the safest way of identifying which part of the circuit you are refering too. If those two terminals both have solid green wires on them, one of which has a black sleeve on the end, then they are the power-on, and power-out of the switch. Check them for power with the switch in the ON and OFF positions - NOTE: The Ignition MUST BE TURNED ON FOR THIS TEST. With the Hazard switch in the OFF position, both terminas should have 12v. WIth the switch in the ON position, only the Green wire with the black sleeve should have 12v. If neither terminal has 12v on it in either position of the switch then time to trace back to the fuse that supplies that power. It should be fuse#7. Assuming that other circuits supplied by that fuse are working, you will have to identify the particular Green wire that goes to the Hazard switch, but if you are lucky is will not go via a loom, as it is so close behind the panel. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

The power for the T/S flasher comes from fuse #7 thur the 4 way switch pins 5&6 (green wire) with the switch off. The 4 way flasher gets its power from fuse #4 (brown Orange wire)