1971 S3 FHC Owners: What Does Your Operating Manual Look Like?

Hi Roger,

New info from digging deeper…

I also found Publication E.160A/1:

U.S.A VEHICLE SAFETY REGULATIONS
PART 375 CONSUMER INFORMATION
applying to
JAGUAR SERIES 3 V12 ‘E’ TYPE 2+2

Printed by W.W. Curtis Coventry

My thought is E.160B/1 could be the OTC version?

I also found publication E.160/2 the large maintenance sheet published in England by Hudson Buckler & Webb Group, Birmingham.

Finally, WD. 160/3E wiring diagram with seat belt switches items 198 -200, 202,203 & 227

my iPhone

Many thanks Pete,
AS you are noting, there is a huge number of Publications that were included within all new V12 E-type Literature Packs, indeed I have written/pictured a totally comprehensive Paper fully detailing the evolution of V12 E-type Literature Packs over their 1971 to 1975 period, and as put together for all the English language markets, but focussing on the four major English language markets, in alphabetical order if not volume order, Australia, Canada, UK and USA. My Paper has been published over five-parts/ issues of the UK Monthly magazine - THE E-TYPE - from December 2016 to April 2017.

Within this Paper, focussing on the HANDBOOK component, at that time I hadn’t confirmed existence of an E.160/1 edition, albeit ‘logic’ indeed said it must exist, so I sought help/feedback, and indeed based on feedback was able to borrow locally an actual copy of E.160/1 which I fully scanned/copied allowing me to do a full line-by-line analysis/comparison with all the other V12 E-type Handbooks I then had - E.160/2, E.160/3, E.160/4 and the USA market only E.170 Supplementary Handbook, and full Handbooks A.173/1, A/173/2, A.181/1 and A.181/2.
Subsequent to publication, I also became aware of a the previously (to me) unknown E.160/1A and E.160/B1 full handbooks - which I have to say were unexpected given no similar A or B suffix numbering for any other Jaguar full-issue Handbooks. I now have my own copy of E.160/B1 and have added it to my line-by-line comparison, but do not yet have, nor have details of the E.160/1A albeit that is promised and underway, but its existence is reliably confirmed - but of course, no detailed analysis yet. But that is just the HANDBOOK aspect.

Also in all E.160/2 onwards Handbooks there is included a matching number MAINTENANCE CHART - thus your E.160/2 Maintenance Chart would have originally been supplied/included (usually folded inside rear-cover) with a matching number E.160/2 Handbook. These charts being loose are often lost/missing thus my questions about existence or otherwise of any E.160/1 or E.160/B1 maintenance charts, as to date, I have not confirmed their existence, with all my known copies of E.160/1 and E.160/B1 Handbooks not having either a Maintenance Chart nor a similarly loose inserted WIRING DIAGRAM.

The V12 E-type WIRING DIAGRAM is included loose, with all Handbook issues E.160/2, /3, /4, onwards, but are not so readily identifiable, having their own different numbering system.
The Wiring Diagram that came with the E.160/2 Handbook is titled, but no numbering.
The Wiring Diagram that came with the E.160/3 Handbook is now numbered WD.160/3E - which reads to me as being a probable /3 issue, but not necessarily so - maybe just identified with /3 to align with Handbook /3. I have never seen/heard of one identified as /2 and I am presuming the un-numbered Diagram found with the E.160/2 Handbook may well be the first/initial issue, but I consider this a major loose-end at this stage, with so far unanswered questions.
It gets complicated with the later issues of Wiring Diagram, given the blue covered E.160/4 handbook was supplied with all UK/RoW V12 E-types, whereas USA cars, started to receive instead the red covered A.173/1 handbook which so far I have only confirmed as receiving the WD.160/3E Wiring Diagram, but with USA amendments thus an additional 4992C identifier along side. (Presumably yours does not have this additional 4992C identifier?)

Re your E.160A/1 folder titled USA VEHICLE SAFETY REGULATIONS.
These were only included with USA Market new car deliveries, and not elsewhere (albeit I cant say for sure one way or the other re Canada). But as you suspect, there is a parallel E.160B/1 version specifically for JAGUAR ‘E’ TYPE SERIES 3 V12 OPEN 2-SEATER.

Both of these folders were included together with E.160/2 HANDBOOKS as supplied with USA Market cars, regardless of being a 2+2 or an Open 2-seater car.

There is a revised E.160B/2 found with USA market E.160/3 Handbooks, and I presume, but have not so far confirmed a similarly revised E.160A/2, and indeed there may be some overlap with what was actually originally supplied with E.160/2 or E.160/3 Handbooks - I don’t have enough evidence yet to be conclusive, but it is probable that they did align…

1972 MODEL YEAR E-types for the USA market only, received the E.160/3 Handbook, but with an additional 36 page Supplementary Handbook number E.170

1973 MODEL YEAR E-types for the USA market only, now received the revised red-cover A.173/1 Handbook (USA only), and along with its A.173/1 MAINTENANCE CHART and WD.160/3E 4992C Wiring Diagram, it also received updated USA VEHICLE SAFETY REGULATION folders now numbered E.173A/1 and E.173B/1 (And not with A.173 prefix as might be expected), and again there were later E.173A/2 and E.173B/2 revisions that came with the A.173/2 Handbook.

The V12 2+2 was never developed/homologated for 1974 MODEL YEAR, only the Open-2-seater, accordingly the 1974 MODEL YEAR handbook, now with a mustard coloured cover, and numbered A.181/1 only covered Open-2-seater cars, and accordingly there was an included VEHICLE SAFETY REGULATIONS folder E.181B/2 (but no 2+2 E.181A/2 issue).
I am unaware of their being any E.181B/1 issue as this E.181B/2 appears to be a 100% copy of the previous second-issue E.173B/2, apart from substituting 181 for 173 in the numbering.

Then there is all the other publications also included in a new V12 E-type Literature Pack.
If interested, best to refer to my published Paper in THE E-TYPE magazine, if not, you would not be reading this far!

Roger