1976 (S2) Sudden Brief Occasional Loss of Power

Hello, looking for suggestions.
We have a series 2 with the Stromberg carbs. I rebuilt them a couple months ago, and the car has been running reasonably well until recently. My wife had complained of a loss of power on a recent drive, and a misfire at idle. My test drive confirmed a misfire at idle. I identified multiple bad plug wires, if unplugged while running they would jump/arc from random parts of the rubber jacket. So, I replaced the plug wires. This evening was the first drive, I drove a half hour out to my in laws with no issues at all. On the way home, my wife is following me, and the car cuts out badly. As if I turned the key off. But sort of intermittent, as if I were turning the ignition on and off. My wife meanwhile witnesses fire blowing out of the tailpipes! I suspect this was an ignition failure, and while ā€œoffā€ the exhaust loaded up with fuel air mix which was ignited when the detonation came back ā€œonlineā€. What on earth could be causing this? The plug wires were definitely bad, and replacing them cured the misfire. I had one perfect drive. And now this? Definitely intermittent. Should I suspect the coil, perhaps damaged by misfiring plug wires? Itā€™s almost time to take her off the road for the year but Iā€™d like to sort this, hate to leave a mystery all winter.

Watch the tacho when this happens, Jakeā€¦

If tacho drops to zero, or seriously deviates from engine rpms as judged by sound/road speed; ignition is intermittently lost. This may have various causes - so what ignition system do you have?

With mechanical points; checking points for wear/gap is the first step. With EI; the tacho is a reliable indicator - but only tells that ignition malfunctions, not why. Faults may be bad connections, failing coil, failing ign amplifier, failing pick-up, failing rotor, cracked/dirty distributor lid etc etc.

The ā€˜dark roomā€™ test is relevant; observing illicit flashes from the high tension leads. And other visual inspections may be relevant - as is the ā€˜wire shakingā€™; wriggling wires with the the engine idling. The engine should be unaffected by wire manipulation - if not; there is a tender spot to checkā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks for the pointers. The wiggling wires is definitely a good idea. I sort of doubt itā€™s a failing coil the more I think about it because once it gets hot a bad coil continues to be hot and misfire. This issue came on abruptly and went away for the rest of the drive.

Sloppy ignition switch?

Carl

1 Like

As Carl rightly adds, Jake; ign key to be added to suspects - which are numerous as it isā€¦:slight_smile:

Another curious addition; water dripping from a leaking radiator hose may intermittently cause ā€˜wildā€™ firing. And, which happened to me (on another care); the distributor wasnā€™t fully seated - allowing the dog clutch drive to slip in and out randomly. Complete loss and recovery of ign - took me some time to accidentally find thatā€¦:slight_smile:

Incidentally; only failed points or ign amp/pick-up will show up on the tacho - all other faults does not interfere with tacho readingsā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe

Since itā€™s been a few days since the last reply I thought I might just jump in and give my 2 cents :grinning:

On my ser. 3 v12 HE I had just about the same problem, the tacho just dying and the car going with it. In my case it was a bad ignition amp, which I believe was caused by pulling the plug wires. In my case it appears that the tach was also fried.

Thats about all I have, sorry, Iā€™m not really sure how the i6 ignition works, but just thought Iā€™d chime in with my experience!

Well I feel Iā€™ve left everyone dangling which I feel badly about. I appreciated all of your advice and planned to try them methodically to eliminate the issueā€¦ except it never happened again!
This isnā€™t the first time this has happened to me either, it seems the old girl responds to the threat of tinkering and stops fooling around! At any rate, I do imagine this reprieve wonā€™t be permanent, something caused the issue the first time. When it comes back Iā€™ll be armed with knowledge.

1 Like

Jake,

there may be a certain consensus around this place that certain - and in particular electric - faults rectify themselves by more intensive use. So maybe this was the case with your problem. Keep an eye on it and drive your car regularly:-)

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like