1976 XJ12C rear window mechanisms designed by satan

Not to worry. You will prevail over your satanic window. Have faith and you will be blessed!

jack-nicholson-joker-queso-espinosa

1 Like

Alright! I found this on that intranet thingie. I will attempt to put it to good use. Brother
I have the faith. Ye
 though I walk through the valley
etc etc etc.

Gee, that shows they are all masters! Apparently operating the driver’s side front window cuts out power to all others, including the passengers side front. And it appears that operating the rear windows from the front supercedes trying to operate the rear windows from the back seat.

If this car was made today there’d be a master switch to disable the rear window switches in the rear so a child can’t open the windows and jump out at speed.

I’m not so sure that diagram is correct. I’ve found that you can’t trust everything posted on the internet (oh really?!!!). After comparing the diagram to my car, it doesn’t look accurate. Got my hopes up too soon.
Thanks for looking.

Yeah, but yours doesn’t work. And a car wired according to that diagram would work. So tell us how yours is different, maybe it’ll help with diagnostics.

Actually, those switches are shown incorrectly – or, perhaps, oversimplified. Each switch should have three positions: A center off, up, and down. If you look at 216 to the left as an example – the driver’s side window switch – there is 12V power coming in on the RN wire, and the other terminal is grounded. If the switch is actuated, the upper contact moves up and sends 12V to the - terminal on the motor and the lower contact also moves up to connect the + terminal on the motor to ground. The motor will run. But for the motor to run the other direction, those connections must be swapped; 12V needs to be connected to the + terminal on the motor while the - terminal needs to be grounded. The illustration doesn’t show the switch contacts as being DPDT as it should, it’s showing them as only DPST.

Also, according to this diagram, there should be no connections – either 12V or ground – at the motor terminals when the switch is in the center off position. I distinctly recall my XJ-S having 12V on both terminals when the switch was in center off; it was something I had to deal with when installing relays.

That is how mine are. The problem I am having with the left rear switch is, I am also getting power at both terminals when the switch is activated. Both up and down. No ground, just power to both terminals, all the time.
I ordered a new switch from SNG that should be here in a day or two. However, I am not hopeful that it will solve my problem.
Thanks for the info.

On this left rear switch, do the input terminals have 12V and ground as they are supposed to?

As Kirbert says, Phillip, the diagram is simplified and will not work as depicted - you can see it does not provide polarity reversal at the motors

However, the diagram is referring to S2, and may provide ‘better’ colour codes information when used in conjunction with the S3 switches

Look at the switch(es) you have to see if the terminals are numbered. And if so; ohm the switch as I advised - using the S3 switch diagram as a guide. If the terminals are unnumbered the task is more complicated but still relevant.

The switch ordered from SNG is not wasted; ordered as an ‘S2’, it will confirm if the S2 and S3 switches are indeed identical. Secondly; you quite likely have a defective switch causing the problem - which will require replacement. And thirdly; If the problem persists with the new switch installed - your switch wire connections are wrong. Or, not unlikely, you have a double fault

One point of wiring diagrams is to avoid a trial and error connection process - elec-tricks(!) calls for logic and systematic pursuit
:slight_smile:

As an aside; applying 12V to both motor terminals is perfectly logical when it is not meant to turn - it is also used on the windscreen wiper motor

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I need a good source for a service manual for an XJ12C series 2. This would include good wiring diagrams, preferably, that include colored wire call outs etc. My manuals, came with the car, are for a series one XJ12 and the other is for a series 3. These are too different to be of much use and the internet is a total waste land.
Thank you/
Phillip

Actually, Phillip - the changes between series 2 and 3 are not that great, but indeed mostly in the wiring and engine management systems

Don’t expect precision in the manuals, Jaguar evolved the series cars continuously - and their publicly available documentation of any specific model year and market did not keep up with changes

A car that conforms perfectly to the workshop manual is scarce indeed

Frank

Phillip,

even though it may be hard to hear for Coupé enthousiasts, but all XJ Coupés are just SII cars.

The SII Parts Catalogue as well as the Repair Operation Manual refer to them as “Two door models”. The Parts Catalogue is available online https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/older-vehicle-information; you might find it helpful to purchase a Repair Operation Manual https://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-Daimler-Double-Repair-Operation/dp/B005IBKN8K.

There are no original colour coded wiring patterns around; they are all black and white with abbreviated color info (“b/p”) and symbolized components (“Extra Air Valve - 314”). The six-cylinder ROM has it at 86-40; I include a pic, but it might be hard to make it useful
Schaltplan.pdf (381.7 KB) and you’d have to find a twelve-cylinder pattern anyhow.

At any rate, it might make more sense to get your hands on an original Owner’s Manual that came with a car similar to yours to avoid the gaps Frank highlighted. Unfortunately, they seem to be as rare as hen’s teeth 

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Thank you Jochen,
I just ordered the double six manual. It was dated 1979 so I suppose that would be series three but it should still provide valuable information on my series two.
Earlier this AM I found an original series two manual on line and I bought that as well. It may turn out I have more technical info available to me than I have the ability to make use of but, oh well.
I did download your pdf and will try to manipulate it to a usable form.
Thanks again.
Phillip

Technical information always requires close scrutiny, Phillip - but you only need to study it when relevant problems arise

Generally; late Series1 blended into early Series 2 - and late Series 2 into early Series 3. With overlapping during model years, as high end market versions getting initial upgrades first - which then becoming standard. And then there were the running differences between the ‘European’ and the all important US market

You will appreciate the series two manual

Frank

1 Like

True, I will appreciate the manual but not as much as I appreciate you, and all the other Jagsters that have taken the time to help me with this infuriating problem.
Thank you,
Phillip

1 Like

Thank you, Phillip

Still no luck with the window
?

Frank

Still no luck. The “new” switch I ordered was not the correct one but I have tried several other used ones I had and no luck. I don’t believe it to be the switch or a loose connection. It is most likely a wrong connection issue with one or more switches. I will get a “better” wiring diagram in the series 2 manual that is coming next week and will try to pin it down. I am hoping that this diagram will call the wire colors to each numbered pin on the switch. The switch is not sending the grounding signal to the motor, just power to both motor wires.
A puzzle to be solved.
Thanks again,
Phillip

Phillip,

don’t worry - no such thing as too much information, if it is the right information! And, BTW, the Jaguar ROM’s are comparatively short. I made a two-sided printout of the XJ6 SII ROM which fits nicely into one binder, even though this is a fairly complex cars and even sophisticated actions such as overhauling the distributor are described. The down side of this is more often than you’d like that you simply find info like “manouvre out the XXX” and think to yourself “how on earth would you 
”

For the short term I tried to make a better shot of that wiring pattern directly from the pdf

As a consequence of the less than ideal structure of the wiring pattern I’ve made it a habit to write up an individual flow pattern for the individual circuits that I need in a particular instance, starting from battery + on top and going down through the circuit until ground in the bottom. It helps a lot.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Yeah, at least that diagram does show all the contacts and connections at each switch.

After viewing this diagram, I am trying to hide my enthusiasm and stay sane after seeing an object beyond beautiful. (Sort of like dating in high school.)
That diagram gives me hope , a reason to live with the prospect of happiness and perhaps smug contentment.
My plan for this visual aid is to work with my local Walgreens photo department and have them produce the largest and clearest reproduction of it on a permanent substrate of some sort and, as a king pin of my diagnostic library, frame it and hang it in my shop.
Thank you Jochen!!!
Phillip