1980 XJ6 ID issues

Hi folks. I’m trying to figure out why my XJ has no side marker lights at all. I’ve not been able to find a single image of another car like it. Does anyone know if this is a specific low end options package or why my car wouldn’t have them?

I’m not a Jaguar historian. Others better me in that facet by far.

I think it is a market issue. USA required them.

Carl

Carl is right. It’s a USA thing, and Canada, too, as far as I know. If yours doesn’t have 'em then your car was built for a non-USA/Canada market or they been removed and the holes filled.

Cars not built with the marker lamps had a turn signal ‘repeater’ lamp on each front fender, aft of the front wheels.

Cheers
DD

Federal law demanded them, other countries didn’t.
My UK spec. XJ6 doesn’t have them.

It sounds like you may have a non N. American spec car.

The vehicle identification number (VIN) for Jaguar XJ6 4.2 cars produced between March 1979 and Apr 1987 should commence SAJ (the WMI for Jaguar) then JAVLN49C for LHD Auto Canada/US followed by a unique six figure number for your car. The V12 and V12s destined for California each had their own identifiers.

Anything other than JAVLN49C was probably not originally consigned to N. America

If you let me have the relevant section of the vin no. I will see if I can find the territory for you

Tony

Thanks guys,I appreciate all the help!

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

Hi Tony,
Thanks. Not sure whether this reply was intended for me or the original lister but my own car certainly wasn’t destined for North American. It is a RHD UK car.
Other differences include no emissions kit, 7" outer headlamps, no US style impact bumpers. No doubt there are others.
In fact it was first registered in Ireland and lived there for 5 years. It was then re-imported back to England and reissued with a new plate number (license plate). It’s owner for a long time was an RAF Nimrod pilot before he sold it to me, and it was again reissued with a new plate number.
Regards,

Andy

Sorry Andy, my mistake!

My reply was indeed intended for the original poster, Dan, but I am a newbie here and hit the last ‘reply’ button instead of the first.

I have to say, people on this site are very friendly

I have found much helpful information on this forum over the years, particularly with my previous 1976 XJ6 4.2 Coupe.

I will be happy to put a little back wherever I can

Regards

Tony