1984 Automatic Borg Warner 66 Wont move in drive but moves in Reverse and 1st

Hello, new here to the jaguar world although I have a lot of experience on other manufacturers so go easy on me as I am excited to try a new project car.

Picked up a 1984 XJ6 Auto that goes nowhere in Drive, moves in Revers, and goes forward in 1. There is not clunking or heaving shifting at all between these gears.

I know you can’t diagnosis this off this information haha but I was curious if there were any broad strokes that are common for this issue or if you suggest a place to start?

Thank you

Hi,

Check fluid level hot in N with engine running after going through all gears.

If you don’t have drive in D but in 1 and R it’s either the linkage or the valve body.

Awesome thank you for the advice we’ll see how it goes.

Good luck Kyle.

And as far as other manufacturers go this transmission is very similar to most other three speeds with throttle cable… BW8, BW35, FMX, they’re almost the same.

Kyle,

even though the shifter obviously operates for 1 and R, my prime suspect would be the contact for D at the shifter - easy to get there, you keep your hands clean and may reap an easy success.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Much appreciated

Nice I haven’t seen this posted another would love for this to just be it

Great but there’s no contact - he must mean the notches at the lever don’t match the notches in the valve body… so just confirm that it’s not a little misadjustment and D is a little more towards 2 than it should be… and D selected is still in N.

Can you repeat what I’m looking for, very sorry, green to this way of thinking. Do I look at the shifter like the previous post? Thank you

At the gearbox a little bellcrank moves through the gears. Inside the box has detents.
This is connected to the shifter by means of a cable. Then the shifter itself has detents.

If something has gone out of adjustment you can confirm the detents match, but it could be that when the shifter is in its D detent the box is still (just barely) in its N detent, while in other positions it is working. You can choose how to confirm but it is best from under the car IMO.

It’s a mixed bag, Kyle - elimination points to the one-way clutch…

Of course you must go through the usual drill as David points out; fluid level and selector check/adjustments - for elimination. But the problem is that functions/and gear changes at speed cannot be tested ‘stationary’ for further eliminations.

Importantly; verify that there is no slipping that causes ‘no motion’. If there is no slip in ‘1’ (and ‘R’); select ‘2’ and venture a test drive. The car should move off and upshift to second gear normally - eliminating some suspects…

And welcome on board…!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yep. Thanks David.

@davidsxj6 @Jochen_Glockner
Thank you guys! I’ll go through these and hopefully get it going straight!

Adding, Kyle; driving off in ‘2’ the box should upshift normally to second gear - and you can then shift manually up to ‘D’. The box should then shift normally between gears, but if the one-way clutch has failed; whenever it then downshift to first gear (in ‘D’) - you lose forward drive.

Emphasising; the one-way clutch is only ‘active’ in ‘D’ first gear - but there may of course be other anomalies showing up while driving as described…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

thank you @Frank_Andersen sound like a quick troubleshoop.
Do you guys know what this cable is? got it up and from the untrained jaguar eye no cable should be that loose.

Handbrake.

Yep. But, seriously … I’d be more concerned about the condition of the steel at the front frame extension than the handbrake …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Oddly I have the opposite problem, all forward gears work fine but reverse has gotten very weak. Kind of ok on level ground but can’t make it up even a slight incline. The internet says tightening the rear band a little my help but I fear it’s too late for that.

My floor was in way worse condition until I buzzed it out, patched it up a little and put in a new floor

Indeed, Martin; likely the rear band slipping - which ‘should’ affect first gear with ‘1’ selected…

Unfortunately; the band linings are very thin, so once slipping starts it quickly wears out. Any slipping should immediately rectified by band adjustments.

Correct band adjustment procedure is; loosen loch nut, then back off the (square) adjustment nut and then retighten to 5 lbs ft. Then back off adjustment nut 2 and a half turn. Retigthen lock not without disturbing adjustment…

You could try that, but it is not just a matter of ‘tightening the rear band a little’. The procedure must be followed :). If that doesn’t work; replacing band lining is in the cards…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UKK/NZ)