1984 XJ6 Cold Start Injector EAC1383 CSI Destructive Post Mortem Report

Bench testing the CSI EAC1383 with 40PSI compressed air attached to the short injector hose filled with diesel and 12vdc applied to the terminals showed no flow that I could detect. Spraying and soaking overnight with deep creep had not effect.

I did a “post mortem” and took it completely apart.

I was not able to do that without destroying it. Maybe someone else could.

There is a tiny micro mesh filter in a housing pressed into in the hose fitting. It can be removed with a sheet metal screw.

The plastic component is held into the metal housing by crimping of the metal housing. I couldn’t relieve the crimping without damaging the plastic and breaking it. It is a single piece of molded plastic. There is a passageway to the chamber where the solenoid plunger lives. Copper field wire is wrapped around that chamber. The plunger inside which opens and closes the hole at the inside bottom of the metal housing to the nozzle stem and nozzle… The bottom of the plastic chamber that holds the plunger is seated with an o-ring against the metal housing preventing fuel from accessing the wire wound field and the metal housing.

I’m not completely sure but…it seems like the fuel pressure normally holds the plunger against the nozzle hole and the 12VDC to the solenoid field pulls the plunger away from the nozzle hole. Fuel inside the plastic chamber (wrapped with wire), where the plunger lives, then passes through to the nozzle.

The nozzle itself at the tip of the stem that goes inside the manifold. I removed the nozzle by filing the tip where it was held in place by a rim. I cut off the end of the stem and used a short piece of wire from the inside to gently tap out the two piece nozzle. It might be possible to replace by somehow recreating the rim.

The nozzle is two pieces; a tiny disc with a tiny hole at the outermost and under that a brass disc flattened on 2 sides with a slot on one side and a recess in the other. I’m not sure but it seems like the purpose of this part is to atomize the fuel somewhat. Because its 2 parts, there is no way to insert a tiny wire through from the outside to clear this passage.

I DID NOT find any gunk at all inside the CSI. Even the micro mesh screen filter was pristine.

What I did find was pieces of decayed rubber in both the plastic solenoid chamber and the nozzle. Because there is a filter at the entrance to the CSI, I have to think that the rubber was once part of the mechanism. At one end of the metal plunger is an indentation. I’m thinking that there was once a rubber tip on the plunger otherwise I don’t see how metal to metal could seal. Can anyone verify?

Also, there may have been an o-ring at one time at the outside end of the plunger between the plunger and the plastic housing. I see a recess and some black stains but no o-ring.

So on my CSI, no amount of soaking would have helped remove and restore the decayed rubber part(s).

I’ve also seen videos that claim you can see if an injector is working by listening for the click when its activated. That would only reveal one thing that could go wrong.

1 Like

I agree 100%. I’ve cut one up a few years ago and had the same thoughts.

So do I, David. But as a matter of interest; what is the difference in construction between the CSI and an ordinary injector - the latter seems amenable to refurbishing…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

They share very little, on the regular injectors you can actually touch the moving part but on the CSI everything is inside and it is such that any cleaning has little chance of getting it unstuck.