1985 xj6 doors unlock relay

Good afternoon, I’m able to lock all 4 doors through the driver’s door and the key. The unlock function however does not work so, I’m thinking Door unlock relay? what else could it be?

Schematics show that that relay is on the passenger’s footwell and i found it. Well, by it I found A relay Lucas 12V Relay 33397A 22RA.
Is that it? they re not cheap so I thought i’d ask here as Google says the 22RA is a starter relay…
Next step is to find the Lock relay and swap them just to be sure but i’d rather not do the extra work if i can help it. Thanks!

Francois,

From the schematics you can deduce what the relay does and replicate it by connecting the corresponding cables directly. If it works then the relay is faulty.
If you ever need, I have two used ones, PM if interested.

Aristides

85 was a transition year between the solenoid and the Kiekert motor central locking, Francois - late 85s had the latter…

The solenoid version uses two relays; one ‘lock’ and one ‘unlock’. In later solenoid set-up the relays are behind the left and right front footwell A-pillar trim. This is where to look. If there are relays there; you have the solenoids - and a relay fault may be the cause. Both versions use orange/red for lock, and orange/green for unlock - to the passenger doors…

If there are no relays; you likely have the Kiekert motor set-up and the problem is likely control module adjustment. Working on the drivers side; you will then find orange/red and orange/green to multiconnectors.

Function; a control module is mounted in the drivers door. The solenoid system use capacitor discharge - which briefly operates the relevant relay, giving a brief power pulse to the solenoids. The Kiekert control module sends a brief power pulse to the motors - reversing polarity to lock/unlock…

With the type identified, we can advise further…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Merci Aristide, I’ll look for a schematic for that relay i found in the footwell trim and will play with wires.

Hi Frank, I have indeed found a relay in the passenger’s footwell , relay Lucas 12V 33397A 22RA and some of the wires going to it are green/orange so i guess i’m on the right track. Thanks!

That should indeed be the ‘lock’ relay for the solenoid set-up, Francois…

The ‘unlock’ relay should/may then be in a similar position on the driver’s side - with orange/red wire. Which you need to find if the ‘unlock’ function has failed. Both relays have brown/blue power feed wires. Applying power (briefly, 1 - 2 seconds) to the orange/red (‘unlock’) or orange/green (‘lock’) should activate the solenoids…

In addition to checking relays, you may need to verify that the relay’s are getting signals from the control unit. Which is placed in the driver’s door; if there is no signal in ‘unlock’, you may have remove the door panel to adjust the control unit…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)