1985 xjs he turbo 400 auto

Greetings Jag-Lovers,

Hope you are all in good health with this virus floating around.
Looking for some help. I intend to replace the pan gasket and filter on the auto trans. I am sure I have heard this can be a real pain. Does that scary rear gearbox mount have to be removed?

Cheers,
Bruced

Yes. You may want to buy the spring seat and pin bushing in advance, as both are rubber and likely have deteriorated after 35 years. Pan gasket and filter are just GM parts, but be sure to reuse the filter tube from your trans and note the spacers on the retaining bolt. Usually need about 6-7 quarts to refill.
Support the trans with a jack stand and use a floor jack to take tension off of the spring.

Yes, it has to be removed. It’s not so scary if you have a good floor jack. Just did it last week. Before you do it, order a new rubber spring seat and rubber bushing for the mount, as yours are likely to have perished. Take pictures with your phone as you go to ensure you’ll know where all of the pieces and shims go when you reassemble it.
The engineers (?) that designed that thing must have been paid based how how many parts they could come up with to make something easy that complex.

1 Like

when I did mine, i took the opportunity to put on a new TH400 pan with a drain plug. This allowed me to do 4 drain/fills afterwards and the transmission runs nice and smooth.

FYI, these old TH400’s do NOT like synthetic. make sure to use dino ATF. Dex/Merc works fine.

1 Like

Thank you gentlemen for your input and advice, I have taken it all on board.
and shall now order the parts required, not sure how I will go with new GM pan with drain plug here in Australia, if I can’t get one I shall fabricate a drain plug myself.

Regards,
bruced

1 Like