1986 Jaguar Rear night light and gauge cluster wiring issue

Hello! I just bought a 1986 XJS and I just had a new questions.

I was wondering if any of you guys have run into an issue with rear night light issues where the lights do not turn on when you turn on the headlights. I have changed the bulbs and the fuses, but that does not seem to help.

I have also run into a wiring issue with the fuel and oil gauges, where they are not reacting to me putting oil and gas into the tanks. Have any of you run into any similar issues and do you have any solutions? Or should I just the car to a shop and get it rewired for all the wiring issues?

Can’t really help with most f the questions but I have to ask about the oil gauge one. Are you expecting the gauge to go up when you add oil? It report the oil pressure not oil quantity.

The oil gauge reads that there is no pressure and is usually at the bottom of the cluster when I turn over the car and when I drive it.

Hello John - if you are talking about the interior cabin rear seat lights, they should come on when the door is opened - they do not need the headlight switch to turn them on - if you are talking about the outside rear lights not working, then I will suggest checking the fuse for these lights - has your car had any water leaking in to the cabin area? - if so, you may have corrosion deposits on the back of the instrument panel that is not allowing the two gauges to work correctly - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 2/18.2020 2356hrs. EST USA.

Hello John - reread your post and see that you stated checking the bulbs and fuses - I do have the electrical schematic for the 1986 (both for 12 and 6 cylinder) so I will be willing to help you trace the problem - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 2/19/2020 0006hrs. EST USA.

Never mind, got covered.
Good luck, enjoy it.
David

John,
Welcome to the list.
Low oil pressure readings could be due to a variety of problems, but should not be taken lightly. It is probably a bad oil pressure sender, or possibly tarnished connector contacts in the instrument panel. But, it could be a serious problem with the engine. If this was my car I wouldn’t drive it until I fixed the low oil pressure problem.

If you haven’t already done so I recommend that you download Kirby Palm’s “Experience in a Book” from Jag-Lovers (it is free) and read up on the instrument panel modification to add a new ground wire and lots of other things that you should know about your car. There are also lots of posts in the archives regarding erroneous instrument panel readings and how others have fixed them.

Paul

Hello John - if you have no rear lights, and no front side lights, then you have lost power from the master lighting switch, as the same contact position operates all these lights. If the front side lights do work, then check the harness connector to the rear as this is the next common point for the power to the rear lights. There is a line fuse, located in the upper rear part of the boot fender, on each side next to the bulb failure module, that is for the tail lamp and number plate lamp of each side. There is a ground strap, located on the LH side rear fender well that the rear harness uses to provide the ground circuit for the rear lights. If your stop lamp bulbs work, and your reverse lamps work, then the ground strap may be okay - Tex Terry, II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 2/19/2020 2210hrs. EST USA.