1986 xjs-c trunk stuck closed

I just bought a beautiful 1986 xjs-c - 74k miles - good shape. Needs some work (but that’s the point of getting these cars). I was working on locating a short in the reverse lights and had disconnected the trunk latch - didn’t really need to - but did thinking I could rotate the lever to get at a screw holding the reverse and plate light assembly (which I wanted to rebuild). In any case- I wasn’t paying attention and latched the trunk. Any good ideas on getting it open with minimal impact?
Britt

Assuming the boot lid is open, just put a screwdriver through it where
the latch on the body goes & pull it.

JimXJSC 1984 3.6L manual Brighton UK

You say that your trunk lid is actually closed, not open, and if it is, there is a way in. It means drilling an access hole behind the license plate so you can move the release mechanism. If that sounds like a good idea to you I will remove the plate on my car and take a photo. You decide.

Dave- I did hear that was an option- If I do it- I just want to do it in the right place and minimize The diameter- a photo- or two of yours would help considerably! Thx!!

OK. Wife needs to go out for breakfast, but I’ll get back to you, after a while.

Does the external button to release the boot move or is it “frozen” ? The latching mechanism can be locked to keep valet out. Depends on which way the key has been turned before removal.
Hopefully the attached picture comes through

From a previous poster

Have been away but tonight took a picture of the boot access hole behind the plate. A better description of where to drill the hole is to measure from the bottom edge of the boot lid 2/7/8 inches and 5/8 inch to right of center. My hole drill used was 1 1/4 inch. The right side of the attached picture is centered on the boot lid. Hope this is of help.

Jim- this is the guidance I have been looking for! Is this from a 86 convertible or doesn’t matter?

Life is getting in the way for a bit today- but will get to it later. I have a probe camera I can do a bit more investigation - and - do you have any photos of the inside mechanism layout- I may be able to activate the latch from a drain hole in the bottom of the trunk or from a hole where the wires come out to the lights. If none of this is possible- out comes the drill.

Thx again

Sorry John B. I have not had this issue and haven’t drilled a hole …hopefully will never have to.
I pulled that from the XJS archives. Did a search for “boot won’t open”. A number of posts there worth perusing.
Good luck. Hope it gets resolved

John, here is what I did on my SC. I had no directions so the hole isn’t centered perfectly, but it works.
You don’t want to bolt the license plate through the sheet metal as you won’t be able to remove it- I used threaded inserts and allen head fasteners.
Moving the rod upwards will release the lid, whether the latch is locked or not.

The 3/4 inch hole could be smaller, as long as needle nose pliers will grasp the rod.

1 Like

Thx Dave! I like the 3/4” hole- as mentioned in my last post- I have a few ideas on how to do it without drilling- do you have a picture of the inside of the boot showing the latch layout and location realities to the lock and center line? Also height from boot lid bottom? I want to see if I can do the old “open the lock with a hanger” from an existing hole- I attached photos of what I am looking at- and what I think the latch looks like

I also have this photo of the area prior to acting stupid- not sure if you can see- the rod is detached

When I took the other photo I looked at the underside of the trunk lid. The mechanism is completely enclosed, and I can’t see how it could be tripped from below. I’ll go back out and take another shot so you can see what I mean. Hang on…

Photo of inside of lock ass’y. In order to release trunk, the rod has to be raised. IOW, pushed upwards from below, not pulled. Not sure how that is possible. Explain the other dimension you want.??

Having trouble sending photo. I’ll keep trying.

my 89 xj40 actually has a hole just for that purpose. Behind the plate.

Thx Dave- you have been great!

Dave Matin - do you have a photo?

The dimension I forgot- From the bottom outside edge of the trunk lid to the hole center is 4 and 1/2 inches.

Great! I think I have what I need- you are right the latch is enclosed. I am going to try and see if I can hook the rod at the top with a wire - a from the drivers side wire access hole- if not- to the drill.