1987 Dayton Wire Wheels & 1992 XJS V12

Greetings! We have a 1992 xjs v12 convertible, “Oyster” in color (I run w/ “gold”) and it has color matching wheels… would you call them scalloped? Anyway a friends come in to a set of Dayton wire wheels from a 1987 Jaguar xj6 and he’s offered them to me for $800. I’m not sure if I’ll like the look on our xjs (I love em on E-types and Healey’s) but in the meantime, will they fit and should I have them trued? 1 wheel requires 4 spokes… there is no curb rash. I’m trying to find a shop in Maryland that handles wire wheels… plenty do the usual wheels but not these.

Peter,

I had Dayton wires on both my 85’s, an XJ6 and an XJS. Back in the 80s-90s, they were very popular. I loved them and got lots of compliments. But I liked the XJS “Lattice” wheels as well. Personal preference I’d say.

Not sure where in MD you are, but Quality in Kensington did my wires for both my TR and my MKII. They were initially a little reluctant, but they did them in the end. You’ll have to be very specific with them as there’s on one guy there that truly has experience with wires.

Auto Repair & Tire Shop in Kensington, MD | Quality Discount Tire and Auto
(https://www.qualitydiscounttire.net/)

Thanks for the information! Since posting this I’ve called Dayton and they recommended returning the 1 wheel for repair of the 4 spokes which, as it turns out they replace all of them because if 4 were broken the neighboring spokes have weakened… $375.00! But he also pointed out that if they’re off an 87 xj6, they should be 15" vs our xjs wheels are 16". Even if they fit over the front calipers, will they look peculiar? Like you, I prefer the basket weave wheels although… you have a mk2? Had one myself… polished the wire wheels up so nice someone stole the car! Back to the xjs… even if they fit, not sure how 15" wheels will look. Thanks again for the information (contact) + insights.

Mine were 15 inch.

Here’s how they looked:

I had to send one of the XJ6 wheels to Dayton for rebuild. As I recall, it was almost as expensive as buying a new one. So $375 is a bargain.

I don’t have a digital photo of my XJS, but here’s how my 89 XJS Convertible looked with wires:

Good morning! Well… they do look great and I’m wondering if 15" will have much of a visual difference? The next question is will the 15" fit on the XJS which currently runs a 16" wheel. It’s all about the front rotors clearing. Are those 15" wheels on your XJS? Again, your cars look great… if you have a picture of your Mk2, I’d love to see that ! Happy Friday and thanks again! Peter

Yes, they were 15 inch wheels on both cars.

Here’s the MKII:

That they fit addresses the primary issue, thank you. And your collection is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

If the pics upload, our xjs with factory spec wheels.

What size tires are you running on the 15" Daytons? Thanks!