1988 Convertible - Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal replacement

Hi ,
Does anyone know the correct product replacement part currently available for this? There appear to be at least two different parts? A lip seal and a rope seal? In either case can you also point to a ‘How to replace’ article or manual - I can find same for front seal but not rear!
Thanks Roy

Hi Roy, until you have the engine apart it’s probably hard to tell which seal you require. Odds on its going to be the rope seal as this is the OE fitment the lip seal is a modification,

Hi
Thanks Robin
So replacing the OE part is the rope seal and the lip seal parts are the modification route - now the difficult part is finding the when, how , why & how much for the mod! If the sourcing info is correct it may be easier just to wait for & accept the need for the quoted 4 week delivery

The modification for the lip seal works like this: Pull engine, toss over hedge, install engine from newer model.

1 Like

Hi Kirby
Thanks for that advice - keeping it simple!
So what would you advise when it’s impossible to find replacement feed/return undercar fuel pipes I wonder?
Best Roy
ps and want to thank you personally for The Book - though it doesn’t seem to say anything specific about replacing the undercar fuel pipe section except for the best fitting technique as the focus is on the engine compartment issues?

Roy,
I am not Kirby, so I can’t speak for him.

However, I have had good luck get old specialty hoses for my Jaguars rebuilt at a local company specializing in this. They remove the old metal fittings from fuel, transmission cooler and oil cooler hoses and fit them to new modern hoses. I have done this with about a dozen hoses and it has worked out nicely. I just picked up the two rebuilt transmission fluid cooler hoses for my Canadian market 1990 V12 Vanden Plas and will install them this week. I typically do this with the specialty hoses with metal fittings that Jaguar no longer carries and there are no aftermarket ones available. I don’t know where you live but there is likely to be on a hose rebuild er in your area.

Paul

You can have any kind of hose made up at a good hydraulic shop, I did this for some BMW v12 steering hoses with oddball metal ends that bend around with a fitting, hard to describe but a very engine specific shape. Shop replicated it just fine.

Which hose part # ? I swear Ive seen new aftermarket hose sets on one of the supplier sites.

Kaden,
I purchased a set of the specialty aftermarket engine bay fuel injection hoses for my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible (5.3L w/ Marelli ignition) from MOTORCARS LTD a couple of years ago and they look and fit great (although the fittings are not correct for those concerned about concours). Since then I noticed that XKS UNLIMITED has started to offer them as well.

However, the hoses that Roy is looking for are not the ones in the engine bay.

Roy,

I recommend that you start a new thread when you change the subject matter. You latest post has nothing to do with the rear crankshaft seal and those following this might get confused and those searching the archives won’t find what they are looking for.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks very much for your insight which I will follow up on here in the UK - i REALLY REPLIED TO kIRBERT JUST TO THANK HIM FOR THE BOOK! - BUT COULDN’T RESIST ASKING ABOUT MY CURRENT FUEL LINE PROBLEM! i HAVE ACTUALLY STARTED A SEPARATE THREAD BUT HAVE HAD LESS RESPONSE THAN ON THIS ONE! (GO FIGURE AS THE us GUYS MIGHT SAY! :slight_smile: