1990 possible purchase?

Hello, Is a 1990 XJS v-12 a good start or one to avoid?
Plenty of years to chose from so I’m not locked into it, Thanx
Long time lurker just joined.

Not a bad start. But would suggest a 94 or 95 6.0 liter v12 because of improvements to post 92 XJS cars

True, I would rather have a distributor- less system and outboard rear brakes but I can’t get over the restyled rear end. Give me your car for a year to review, maybe it will convince me!
ps. funny, I had been thinking of retiring to Eufaula…

Eufaula a nice town.
Afraid I will have to pass on your very generous offer to look after my car for a while. I like the rear-end…the spoiler removed. Clean and smooth look.

1 Like

Lot of differences through the years (81 onwards):

Lucas ignition vs Marelli ignition
Abs brakes vs non-Abs brakes
Three point seat belts vs automatic mickey mouse seatbelts (US market only)
V12 vs straight 6
V12 5.3L vs V12 6L
Convertible vs coupe
Inboard vs outboard rear brakes
Facelift vs Pre-Facelift

Plus loads of tweaks to the interior

No perfect model.

1 Like

I love my 90 convertible.
Enjoyed going through everything and making it very nice.
Must sell after 13 plus years of fun.
Do you have an opportunity to pick one up?
Post pictures and ask questions.
I’ll share all I know.

Dave, Coopcat, Cooper

1 Like

Thought they are a fantastic design since I first seen one when “The New Avengers” came out. Now the market is flooded with them the cost is stupid low, thought I’d get a great body one and go from there. John’s Quarterbreed kit and remove lot’s of pipes and hoses from systems not essential ala Ralph Hosier’s “De-mystifying the Jaguar V-12”. Then down the road probably a Megasquirt conversion. Something to keep till I croak. :smile:

I love our 1990 XJ-S convertible. We got it in 2005. I 'd say that the best XJ-S is the one that you have in your garage. :wink:

I made some minor usability and reliabilty modifications over the past 19 years but have otherwise kept it original. I find it easier to get parts and work on it myself when it stays original.
I was rear ended 5 months ago while driving it and although the insurance company totalled it I kept the car and it is being repaired. Once repaired, I will be driving this car again (and my E-Type and XJ12) until my wife takes away the keys from me. :upside_down_face:

Paul

2 Likes

I’d say a 1990 is as good as any other.

Some, like me, prefer the older models (pre-1988-ish) as they have less equipment and therefore less to repair. But there are valid arguments on both sides.

If cosmetics are important to you it’s best to pay up-front for a car that doesn’t need new paint, rust repair, new leather, new chrome, etc. Such repairs are very expensive.

A folder of invoices showing that the car has been pampered with regular servicing is a plus. Watch out for the car that has been polished once a month but very little else.

That said, even the best candidates out there will almost certainly need at least some repairs. An XJS that truly “needs nothing” is a bit unusual.

How are your DIY skills? These are great hobby cars for someone who like to get his hands dirty. Internet support from fellow owners is among the best you’ll find.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

The reasons I avoided 89 and up, I did not want to deal with the Teves ABS system, and I preferred the simpler Lucas ignition system rather than the Marelli ignition system that is prone to catastrophic failure (look up Marelli meltdown) and harder to find quality caps/rotors.

Both of these issues are well documented in the archives, and many members deal with these two issues fine. When these two things are running well, the 89 and up V12s seem to idle a little smoother, probably just due to more modern electronics to monitor things (like a crank sensor) and stop better.

Convertibles seem to be the most sought after for buyers. Especially a 6.0L.
And Facelifts (92 and up??), love the look or not, have a bit more dependability built in thanks to Ford.

My 80s HE Lucas does require more maintenance, but I’m fine with that, and like Doug said, it’s simpler.
But a 70s XJS, I think that would be too much for me! But they are very collectible due to scarcity.

1 Like

All good points, the 1990 was offered to me at a cheap price, body appears great, side bolster on driver’s seat worn through. Shabby carpets and console veneer, parked for year till owner’s death. Hoses and tubing old, no maintenance in several years. So I won’t be changing a pristine example, planning on 700r4 and Megasquirt conversion. Rear outboard vented rotors, Sanden scroll compressor, and color change in the interior. I can do upholstery myself, wanting olive green leather instead of beige. Better looking steering wheel and shifter, also.
It was that brake system that concerned me, I remembered one Teves version is considered junk by many jag-people.

Well, if you’re looking for a project car it looks like you found one ! So long as you go in with both eyes open…and it sounds like you are…it should be fun.

The early Teves system was never that great and has caused plenty of frustration over the years. OTOH the problems and fixes are known an documented. I wouldn’t make it a deal-breaker. And some guys have converted to non-brakes…which appears to be fairly easy if you gather-up all the parts ahead of time.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Nothing to be scared of with the Teves III power brakes system, just people that don’t know how it works and spread fear to cover their ignorance.
99% of what you have heard about the Teves III system has been untruthful.

Plough through the linked thread to learn how the system really functions.
Pressure switch, pump, accumulator, master cylinder for front brakes, central control valve for the rears.
If people would change their brake fluid every two years, as specified, there wouldn’t have been any brake system failures noted. The main issue is the ABS valves becoming clogged with contaminated brake fluid.

Teves iii braking system failure - XJ-S - Jag-lovers Forums

Knowing what I do now about Jaguars with power brake systems would lead me to prefer either an XJ-S fitted with Teves III, or an XJ40 fitted with Girling power system, over any of the vacuum servo systems.
The Teves III uses brake fluid, which needs changing, the Girling system is mineral hydraulic oil.

Every week a poster comes on here to say either their master cylinder, or vacuum servo has failed, yet apparently it’s the power brake systems that are unreliable. :thinking:

1 Like

Not really true at all but it is understandable that a person lacking experience with old hobby cars in general, and Jaguar XJSs in particular, would mistakenly reach that conclusion.

The older, non-ABS master cylinder with vacuum booster systems are as reliable as any other. And the vacuum boosters, specifically, are particularly long-lived compared to many others.

And I would say that the Teves system, in good order, is as reliable as any other as well.

Either system often suffers owner neglect. And either system is more prone to give problems from lack of use or, even worse, years of actual dead storage/non-use……which is the life many XJSs suffer. And, with either system, components eventually age-out even under the best of circumstances.

What drives many to favor the non-ABS system is neither “fear” of Teves nor imagined unreliability. It’s ease-of-repair and less complexity. Undeniably the ABS system has more potential for problems than the non-ABS system. This isn’t fear-mongering. It’s merely stating the obvious.

Things that many hobbyists would prefer not to deal with.

I feel comfortable in saying that the vast majority have not been properly maintained. And, to reiterate, lack of use an age-out come into play even under the best of circumstances.

That’s the reality of the situation.

Thus, the issue at hand isn’t how wonderful the Teves system can be if it is properly maintained throughout its life.

The issue at hand is the real-world, present-day problems an owner (or possible buyer) of a used XJS is likely to face with the Teves system. From there we each can decide whether to avoid Teves cars entirely. Or repair the neglected Teves system when it gives problems. Or, in some cases, convert a Teves car to non-ABS brakes.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Biggest ignorance out there is putting 50W brake fluid into the Teves system. :wink:

1 Like

I agree that any hydraulic system will suffer if neglected, but we are seeing quite a number of failed master cylinders and now a servo, which the poster is indicating may lead to the car being scrapped.

Given that both power and standard hydraulic brakes will need some attention due to neglect, I would put my efforts into a power system, to gain the additional reward it offers.

People became terrified of the Teves III system due to the stated and oft repeated statement that “if the front brakes failed the rears would not operate.”
That was not true, the front and rear systems are independent of each other, other than when the ABS is actually operating. (active mode)
If there was a brake pipe failure during ABS operation the system would automatically revert back to a split system.

People have really changed the power brake systems mainly due to not wanting to replace the accumulator, due to cost, not because of actual failure.

Yes it’s more complicated, but is also very simple and if maintained in a reasonable fashion, will be reliable.

An Xj-S with unbalanced brakes is due to the ABS valves being stuck due to contaminated fluid, which applies to any ABS brake system.

There has also been huge confusion over how to bleed the rear brakes of cars with Teves III systems, leading people to have fear of performing that task and no functioning rear brakes.

I would be quite happy to have either of the power brake systems.

1 Like