1994 4.0 HVAC problems

Check to see if your compressor is for R 134 by reading green label on it.

I believe if 709 is part of it you have a R 134 compressor. Hope others are reading this because I’m going by memory on the 709.

That sounds like the heat is on.

No, I don’t think that the heater was because I tested it in stages when I received the new CCM.

I plugged in the CCM and all of those bad symptoms that I’d been experiencing completely vanished. What I did get was excruciatingly hot air blowing from all of the vents regardless of the temp setting. It occurred to me that the heater control valve might be stuck open and that the ac was fighting against it so I removed it and played with the lever which gave a little bit of resistance. I sucked on it and the lever barely moved. I went through the same motions with the new one and had better results. After installing the new one the really hot air wasn’t there anymore and that’s when I could feel that twinge of cool air before it started blowing warm.

So after all of this round robin and the years of none use because of a bad CCM I’m inclined to believe that (if I’m lucky) the refrigerant leaked out and hopefully only needs a recharge.

Your heat is on. This being a Delanair MkIII, I believe that means one of the servos isn’t moving, leaving the flaps in the heat position. I think that’s the upper one, the one that’s a $#%%^ to get to.

For a quickie fix, plug the coolant line to the heater core so there is never any flow. See if the A/C starts working better.

Don’t tell me that the dash has to come out in order to get to it?

If there is a problem with the servo is there any chance that there is a fix for it or do they normally just need to be replaced?

That servo has been discussed ad nauseum, including someone’s tip to cut half the length off the shaft to make it easier to get it in. Someone sent me one of those servos and I fiddled a while trying to repair it but was unsuccessful. They’re expensive and there is no substitute.

Since I never actually owned a car with the Delanair MkIII, I’ll leave it to someone who’s actually done the job to describe the work.