1995 differential service

The last thing that I am doing on the full service of my 1995 4.0.L car is a differential oil change and like most things on this car it is a challenge. The factory service manual offers no help. So:

1. how to identify which unit this car has. Ithink it it a DANA unit. It has outboard vented rotors?
  2. I found the drain plug but where is the fill plug and where is the best place to access the fill plug?
  3. Is there a way to get at the fill plug through the trunk? Thanks, Steve

Steve, you might want to take a look at Kirby’s “Book”, starting on page 349. It’s complicated!
You could also go back 22 days and look at “XJS HE dana differential” thread, although that refers to a Dana in an '88 car.

After checking out Kirby’s book as suggested, it does have an easily accessible drain plug on the bottom. I still can’t find a fill hole. Is it possible that it is under the spar tire?

It took my mechanic 10 minutes with the car on a lift. The fill plug is no-where near the boot/trunk or spare tire. It is higher than the drain plug and if I recall is a square type plug. It’s also very nice important to clean or at least more around the vent port as these can get plugged up and cause leaks. My differential was leaking until the oil was changed and the vent was moved around and cleaned. It has not leaked since then

Almost nothing of the DANA vs SALISBURY discussion from the Book applies to the MY '95 6-cyl. They use 3.54:1
The final is akin to the latter type with a drain and fill plug.
The fill plug takes a 1/2" square ratchet.
Pictured (vaguely) in this post of mine (just next to the speed sensor)

Fill plug location on my 89. Paper towel stuffed in the speed sensor hole. Square plug below and to the right is the fill plug. Note that this is with the unit out of the car.

I am in the market for a Alloy diff cover from a xjs , at a reasonable price , I am in the UK !

I had a a retired Jag tech, come over and he knew right where the fill plug was located, Drain and fill with a pump was no problem.