1995 xjs drivers seat fore and aft

looking for some information. Using the door mounted switch for fore and aft, the drivers seat will move a little bit fore or aft and then stop. If I press the switch again, it moves a little bit more and stops. I have to do this 5 times for full seat travel. I realized this trying to find out why the fore and aft funcition does not work with the memory button. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Could be dirty and gummed up under there, or your switch could be corroded or may have dried grease in it. I know mine would go forward and not back, which sucked because I’m 6’6"ish lol. I pulled out the seat, cleaned and lubed the mechanics and then opened up the switch and cleaned it out. Also the connector for the switch could be corroded

Highly doubt it is the switch. After further evaluation, it stops at the same 5 spots every time I go fore or aft. Could it be a problem with the potentiometer? If so, how would i gain access to it to troubleshoot?

1 Like

I’ve had two 96 models…they both did it. Only on the drivers side.

I think it’s programmed with stops…

I answered this on another forum, but I’ll repeat here.

It’s the plastic wobble connector/clutch inside the pot mechanism connection to the seat track. Turns out Ferraris have the same issue, and this Ebay seller makes 3d printed replacements.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14366567169…mis&media=COPY

Kind of a bear to change as the seat has to come out and the track has to be removed. You have to pull the panel under the rear of the drivers carpet to unhook the electrical plugs for the seat wiring harness.
After you replace the part, you need to ensure everything is hooked back up before trying it out. It will continue to do the short movements if the seat heaters, lumbar connections, and especially the ground wire at the stud aren’t all connected.

Edit: The ebay seller says he’s out of stock, but you can contact him to see when he will have more.
Jon

1 Like

The pot is inside this in the seat base. The adjustment synchronizing mechanism between the seat tracks has to be disassembled to get it out.

1 Like

My 1992 does this too, not a big deal since I rarely ever change the seat position, but I kind of wish I had done this fix while I had the seat out for re-upholstery.

Jon………Thank you. I will contact the eBay seller

My 95 coupe driver seat moves smoothly from stop to stop. My memory function doesn’t work correctly. But it is not an issue because I, like Jay, am the only driver.

I bought the piece to fix it as Jon pointed out, but not in a hurry since my seat position is adjustable as desired. I usually run the seats and mirrors through full range of motion every couple of weeks.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I will purchase the piece but not in hurry to fix as I can still make seat adjustments