1996 new owner questions

…what???

Sorry texting until trump makes phones they don’t work either…
If the ethanol gas has been sitting it turns to sugar water. drain that garbage out and use fresh petrol
gtjoey1314 on a old fashioned computer with a copper phone line.:grinning:

I have had ethanol-enhanced fuel sit for years: never seen such.

It has its issues, no doubt: turning into “sugar water” aint one.

I respectfully disagree with many, many, many examples…its crap.
But that’s for another day,
Lets get this xj running!
Love ya
gtjoey

You can disagree, but use facts to do so.

In cars so designed for its use, E10 us NOT the bugbear many make it out to be.

I ran Tweety on E10 for 8 years, never an issue, ditto wirh my Rover.

Not a bad suggestion, about putting in fresh fuel.

Agreed if you RUN the car, but if it SITS in the tank it becomes a disaster.
Pumps submerged like the vanquish or others get eaten up alive.
If you run them its fine.
Ive got a feeling his gas sat for months if not years.
gtjoey1314
change those filters on that xj make a huge difference

all i know for sure is the car has been off the road since at least last october. Im headed to illinois for the summer so it will just have to wait for me till next fall. not good i know but no time to deal with all the intricacy of it now. any recommendations for lay up?

Poor car…well its been rotting this long…load up the tires to 50 lbs
Try to drain the tank , its going to sit ANOTHER 6 months?
Good luck my friend.
GTJOEY1314

Do you have any mechanically minded friends who can weatherize it?

Maybe someone on the list is close enough and can be persuaded to look in on it?

well its not really been rotting! air conditioned garage most of its life. Its in my shop now out of the weather. I have ruled out ignition problems. giving a burst of carb cleaner in the air intake while it was running and missing smoothed out the beat as dead cylinders fired for an instant, another burst same reaction. seems to me it must be a fuel problem, probably clogged injectors. I put a qt. of AMSOIL Quick Shot in with the old gasoline. its made for all engines and is used extensively on marine engines that get laid up periodically. I will run that some the next couple days see if it helps at all. my next step is to remove the injectors or find some method of cleaning them in place . I don’t see a tap on the fuel rail. this car has probably always sat summers, that is just how it is with us snowbirds in florida. cant be helped. dont worry she wont rot. the guy i got it from was going to send it to the crusher! im doing my best.

“wearherize” it? not sure what language that is sir.

1 Like

Plenty of YouTube vids on home injector cleaning.

It’s called Fatfingerish…:wink:

Fixed!

And a very common language here at times :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok all you doubters! got it running on all 6 today. hooroar! if anyone is still following i will write it up.

1 Like

No doubters here, just interested onlookers :slight_smile:

robin, seems it was the connections on the injectors . after pulling them all off to check resistance at each one, which was normal, i started it up and had all 6 firing, first time. the car has lived its life on a barrier island next to the atlantic ocean. a salt air environment so corrosion is suspect. doesn’t want to idle down below 1700 but still hitting all 6 when put in gear dropped to 1000. there is still some kind of problem but it does not seem to be old fuel or dirty injectors. I have a fuel stabilizer in the tank now and a test sample at the manifold showed good gas, clear enough smelled freshlike. I think its ok to leave for the summer now while i study up on what might be going on with the idle. check engine light still on but no new codes showed up. i don.t have any knowledge about the ECU or testing /programing? for it. Glad my E has carburettors!

1 Like

For the idle check what the throttle position sensor is reading at idle it should be <>.6v increasingto <> 4.5v at WOT

good information i’m sure , problem being i only just acquired this car, about 10 days maybe? result being i have not obtained any kind of service manual, nor parts list. i really don’t know where the throttle position sensor is :slight_smile: my goal is to obtain reading material and study it this summer . can you recommend books i will need?
a friend suggested i check for vacuum leaks , said there are lots of hoses under the manifold that you cannot see from the top

Go to:
http://jagrepair.com
You will find almost all you need there courtesy of Gus.
Also go to Jim Butterworth’s website:
http://jimbutterworth.co.uk/8jaguar.htm
There is also a Diagnostic Manual, I’ll root that out for you later.

1 Like