1996 XJS 2+2 4.0 Pass side Airbag removal

Need some help here before I accidentally blow the AB or break the part, I am trying to remove my dash I need the Pass airbag out. Rebuilding the Blowers and AC system

The air bag is attached to its own mount and it can easily be dismounted by removing the 3 or 4 bolts that hold it place (from what I remember.)

1 Like

the four bolts holding it in is only accessible from behind the dash… so, you’re gonna have to pull out the dash before you can take it out.

1 Like

one of the bolts holding the dash on is behind the AB and cannot be reached until airbag is out

I got the disarm tool for the D/S airbag it turns downward to disarm. removed the two nuts behind the Wheel and Nada airbag will not come off What am I missing? This project is making me lose sleep

It could be that you are overthinking this whole thing. You disarm the AB so that it doesn’t blow up in your face while fooling around/removing the wheel. One the AB is disarmed simply remove the wheel and the AB should stay attached to the wheel and just come along with it

Isn’t there a Nut behind the airbag that has to be removed to get steering wheel off the spline?

The airbag has to come off the steering wheel in order to undo the nut that secures the steering wheel on to the splines.

1 Like

Someone told me there are three nuts holding the Airbag in place I removed two cannot find the other, Is is it behind the disarming screw if so how do I get to it?

image1.jpeg

2 nuts only & if the pin is properly retracted, there’s no reason that the airbag won’t come off the wheel.

The third bolt is behind a sliding door near the arm disarm assy , I held a13mm socket in my hand and slid the door open and got the socket on the head of the bolt , Airbag is off the wheel . The person who designed this needs a Drug test

Now for the pass air bag

Yanked the seats and carpets today and the center console .starting to get somewhere. still can only feel the bolts for the airbag more of less get a wrench on it . Still seems I have a long way to go before I can even assess what is wrong.

Glutten for punishment just bought another 96 Facelift car 100k miles orig owner car Complete for a change. has issues will not stay running due to being not used for a yr. and jumps out of OD , Needs paint and tires

1 Like

From what I have learned, check that all ground connections are cleaned and solid - along the engine, the body, the frame - a higher resistance ground path, than what is expected by the transmission, will disengage the OD feature periodically - many people have replaced solenoids within the transmission trying to correct this problem, then, when finally correctly assuring the ground connections are correct (clean contact, no dirt, grease, paint, corrosion at connection or corrosion within the wire sheath on the actually wire surface) there has been success in the OD working correctly.

Thank You I will do that

1 Like