2 speed differential

Is anyone aware of Jaguar experimenting with a 2 speed diff?
I recall years ago a hod rod guy having the rear end from a XJS that was 2 speed. If I recall it had some sort of solenoid arrangement mounted on it but this was incomplete. It wasn’t yet installed in a car.
Any idea what I was looking at?
Regards, Jordy.

There was a light on the dash of the pre-he for it

Hi Foggyoo.
I see you are from Hawera, NZ.
Do you happen to know a guy in town there with a dozen or so Jags.
Jordy

I’ve met him, cant think of his name at the moment

Bob Kemsley.
He used to work for a Jaguar agent at the time the XJ S1 was released as recalls doing the pre-deliveries on them.
BTW. I’m ex Stratford now living in Queensland.
Cheers, Jordy.

Oh yes, thats him, The light was 3rd from right on top row

Interesting. I wonder what happened that they dropped the idea and what ratios they were to be.
Regards

Yes , scaled up version of the Laycock overdrive mounted on the nose of the diff, vented discs also, very heavy unit. I purchased one in 1984 from
Dave Colman @ jagspares international. Dave handled 5 or 6 with at least one sent to Aust.
Peter.

wow! now that is nifty. I didn’t know there was such a thing. any documentation on it anywhere? How does it work? what is the purpose? what color is it? (I ran out of questions)

Does the XJS bible talk about it? I don’t remember reading about it there.

Makes me want to get a pre HE XJS :smile: I suppose it’s not a US Spec arrangement, and probably a 6 cyl version; with a manual gearbox. none of which are available here in the US (on Series I XJS’s).

Is this part in either the service or parts manuals? I would love to see a diagram

“Experimenting” is the word , not aware these units were fitted on
the production line.
Peter.

Hearing the mention of the spot in the dash for a light I had hoped that it had made it further than experiment but I suppose that hole could be used for any auxiliary overdrive