2003 XJ8 (X308) passenger door open warning

Been wrestling with this a while. The Passenger Door Open warning comes on which doesn’t allow the car to be locked with the fob. Also if the car is left that way, because the doors are considered open, the courtesy lights stay on drain the battery.

In my research I’ve found that there is a microswitch in each door lock unit which signals each door is closed. If that switch goes bad it sets the door open warning, the car is unable to be locked with the fob and the battery will drain.

The microswitch is binary and only open or closed. I think the switch is closed when the door is closed letting the central unit “see” that.

There are two wires leading from the microswitch a Black and a Green. Without changing out the door lock units which is somewhat tedious it seems to me that by cutting the wires from the microswitch leading to where they plug in and twisting them together on the plug side the central unit will “see” that the switch and the door are closed. I realize this is a stopgap measure, but logic would dictate that is should work and satisfy the demands of the central unit. The car should work normally and not drain the battery.

Does this logic sound like it should work for one or for all the lock microswitches?

Yes certainly cutting the wires or whatever should work.

I don’t think the battery is drained on x308 (you in America?)
Roof lights should go off after 2 minutes.
Door lights after 5 minutes.

Putting the key in the door should lock all the doors

I have done this on mine (Daimler super v8 1998) tuned out to be the rear offside door…
the switch contacts ate open with the door open… dirty contacts inn switch will give false door open alarm when faulty… i cut the wires (Cannot remember who colour), as did not want to change lock mechanism… all ok afterwards. obviously door open alarm does not work on this door

Bruce

Thanks. I don’t expect the door alarms to work. However, I did read that someone fiddling with this same problem might have managed to upset of screw up the door module and cause the fix not to work.

What is/are your thoughts about the possibility of screwing up the door module/s, If you think so, then waht steps in what order go you envision to prevent that from happening?

Thanks

Well, I jsut fixed the damn thing. I cut the wires as indicated and since the microswitch on the X308 is CLOSED when the lever is UP, I just took small wire nuts and twisted them on the green (hot) wires and left the black ones (ground) alone and secured each pair to the lead to the module connection, snapped everything back together and re-installed the door cards.

Whew, this has bugged me for quite a while and since XJ8 info seems to be sparse on the web re this I wasn’t able to suss it out till now (getting old and older - in my brandy and cigar days now).

Yeah… but on my X308 the interior lights went off after a couple of minutes when the doors were open.

Sorry, I can’t answer your question. I simply do not know.