2004 XJ8 Weird Turn Signal Issue

Out on the road today I had another driver pull alongside and tell me that not only was my left signal light flashing for the turn I was about to make, my right brake light was also flashing in tandem. Got home and checked and that’s what’s happening. Doesn’t happen unless the brake is depressed. Normal operation when I use the right signal. Coincidentally, my side markers, which only worked previously when I locked the car, are now flashing when the turn signal is engaged. Anybody have an idea where to start trying to track down this weirdness? I’m obviously going to need to get a wiring diagram…

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Tom Golodik

In my experience, these things are almost always due to a bad earth connection. Remove, clean and spray with dielectric grease all of them. It’s a very satisfying - if time-consuming - exercise!

1 Like

This may be of help:

http://jagrepair.com/images/Electrical/XJElectrical/2004%20MY%20XJ%20Electrical%20Guide.pdf

Neil: Thanks very much for that PDF! Exactly what I was looking for.

Now, to find and address the ground connections…

Regards,
Tom

Thanks much for the suggestion. I’ll begin that journey now, especially since another electrical anomaly that just showed up is the passenger side rear view mirror not auto adjusting downward when the car is put into reverse. Those recalcitrant pixies can be frustrating!

Regards,
Tom